Crying Wolf

"WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!"

I was still half asleep when I heard the whiny voice of my sister. I grumbled, swatted the air and rolled over. With the storm, her nightmare, and the weird dog creature I definitely didn't see outside last night...I'd barely gotten a lick of sleep.

"There is blood EVERYWHERE!" my sister continued. "Are you completely deranged? Is this.... Are you trying to get back at me for something? What the hell did I do to you? Was ruining my favourite scarf not enough? Now you need to destroy the entire house? Well, I am NOT cleaning it!"

"Goddd, shut up," I groaned. "I just want to sleep...."

"And I want a sister who doesn't perform a bloodletting in the middle of the living room, but I guess we don't always get what we want."

Then she ripped the sheets from my bed.

Even in Australia, winter was freezing, and I groaned loudly at the temperature difference. I could feel myself waking up and becoming even more annoyed. I'd been having a good dream, the best dream...where I was in love with this masked man and about to see his face for the first time. And now, because of this gremlin, I would never know what he looked like. The light was on, blaring down at me with the power of the sun as I tried to use my pillow as a makeshift shield, but it wasn't long before that was commandeered too.

"Stop taking my things!" I shouted.

"Stop ruining mine!" she yelled back. "I'm so tired of finding blood everywhere. What is your obsession with throwing it around?"

"I wasn't throwing it around," I mumbled, still half asleep. "I was eating it."

"What?"

"I ate the minced meat."

Silence followed. It was beautiful, and had I had my blankets and pillow, I might've been able to fall back to sleep. Instead, I had to settle for the look on my sister's face.