Chapter 38 ♕ Avaro's Back!

Corvan had been doing his part of the job—the plan that Charles had so carefully devised. In contrast to the usual perception of people about him apparently liking to be in control—and though he did inwardly admit to himself that he loved being in the seat of power—he was far wiser than to take matters he wasn't too keen on into his own hands. After all, he had just been a part of the Twelve for hardly two years and he had become their top ranker.

Even so, he knew better than to be so rash about devising plans as he himself was not an expert on the matter. And though some people, with an emphasis on a certain honey-blonde airhead who allegedly had a bad habit of asking unnecessary questions to satiate her irrational curiosity of a child, perceived it as Charles being in charge, it was not at all meant to be like that.

Charles was indeed the best among the group when it came to affairs concerning the brain and logic, not to mention he had more experience—being a student in the academy for about six point two years or so. This had only been Corvan's fifth major task so far, setting the small issues and matters that were asked of him to accomplish during his course of being a member of the Twelve.

Fact was, people mostly saw him as a reckless young lord from Arlandia, just as impulsive and rash as the devil-may-care element he wielded. It was a common trait of fire-wielders to have ephemeral tempers, but that was just skin-deep on his part.

What led him to contemplate about a portion of his ever-so-interesting life was because he was feeling inordinately bored having to watch over such a mushy couple of a brat and a demon-kid. Of course, they did not know of his presence—it was easier that way. Lest the demon suddenly made a magical recovery of some sort. It looked as though he took a fatal blow, courtesy of Genevieve.

And look what suddenly gave a sudden twist to his 'exciting' mission? A crying girl wiping her own snots over nonsensical reasons such as being a 'failure' after getting lost in a maze of marble hedges.

And though it was amusing to watch, he could not risk giving away his position. He was supposed to be monitoring the 'prey' and scaring it away would not help at all. And yes, should that happen, that would be another list of blames he was going to list down under Valeriana's name. Having to hear her constant whining of self-deprecating comments and insecurities was something he greatly detested.

"What?"

Now here came another headache. This girl seemed to bring trouble everywhere she went, didn't she?

"Tamara and I were suddenly attacked by arrows and then she told me to go get help."

"A sudden attack? Any valid reason you can think of?"

"I don't know what's going on but maybe it's those coup d'état guys the old butler was talking about. I remember Marcy telling us that some of the citizens in the city want Aswo—or something to step down from the position as City Lady—I don't know, was that even correct?" she blabbered, her nose still red and eyes puffy from her recent episode.

What was this girl thinking anyway? Why did she have to let herself endure these hardships if she only knew it would hardly be of benefit to her?

"Yes, City Lady is the correct term."

"But that's a funny title. It rhymes."

"I can see that," he uninterestedly replied. "But I do admit that even I would rise against such a leader who thinks of no one else other than herself. She deserves it."

"That's kinda harsh."

As though a bright idea suddenly dawned on the young lord, a fiendish smirk pulled the corners of Corvan's mouth ever-so-lightly that Valeriana felt a chill run down her back. At the same time, sparks that resembled fireworks cannonaded above them. They weren't exactly sparks, but what seemed to be volleying explosions of water—with extensive magical properties that gave it an extra dash of luminescence of some sort—that scattered once it hit the clouds.