The Abby Diaries--Entry Ten

May 18 * 9:15PM

Currently Reading: The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney

I don’t know what’s going on with Brooklyn.

Things were going so well between her and Asher. They’d finally admitted their feelings toward each other and had made it official. Since then, they’d been practically inseparable. If I hadn’t been so happy for them, I would’ve been disgusted by all the PDA they flaunted around school. And at home. And everywhere else.

            But the fact was, my brother’s happiness totally trumps the mushy-gushiness of it all. And I’d started to come to see Brooklyn as a friend, too. It’s not like we sat around braiding each other’s hair or anything, but I liked having her around.

            That’s why it’s so disappointing to see her starting to change.

            It all started when she began to spend more and more time with The Elite. At first, you could tell she was trying her best to juggle her time between us and them, but as the weeks passed, she definitely moved closer to the dark side. Now whether it was because Gigi and the others were demanding more of her time or she actually wanted to hang out with them more frequently, I don’t know. All I know is that I see her less and less nowadays.

            And so does Asher.

            He hasn’t said much to me about it, but I can tell he’s bothered. And why wouldn’t he be? She’s his girlfriend and he wants to spend time with her. And we both know how he feels about The Elite.

            Anyways, that was the first speed bump. The second came when we found out that Brooklyn had some unique powers that she’d been keeping from us. Powers that we now know have affected everyone around her.

Brooklyn can make people fall for each other. Sort of like Cupid, only there’s no pointy weaponry involved. And it’s not exactly love…it’s more like lust. From what she’s said, she can “match” two people up and it gives the couple an initial boost of interest, so they can see if there’s anything really there. I guess it’s more for people who just need a nudge in the right direction. She can’t, however, make two people love each other who wouldn’t ordinarily.

Nobody has that kind of power.

So, apparently, she’d figured out she had this gift by accident, pairing up these two kids at school, Shayla and Tucker, who’d been gaga over each other for like, forever, but had just never had the cajones to actually make the first move. Brooklyn says that her instincts took over and before she even knew what was going on, the match had been made.

She didn’t tell anyone about it after that, because she wasn’t exactly sure what her newfound powers meant or how to control them. Personally, and I don’t have proof of this, but I think it was also because she’d used the spell to connect herself with Asher. It was a little shady of her if she did, but the flipside is that I know he liked her before all of this. And like I said, the spell can’t make two people fall in love. Eventually it wears off and the potential couple is left with their real feelings.

Like I said, this is just a theory and one I didn’t get from Asher or Brooklyn, but I do know that things were a tad bit rocky between the two lovebirds for a few days.

Next, there were the rumors. Ordinarily, I’d say gossip is just gossip, but after a while you begin to wonder whether there was a bit of truth to them. And so, I decided to do what I do best and spend a little time observing.

Okay, maybe this also included me following Brooklyn around school a bit, watch her when she didn’t know I was there. Again, not stalking. People-watching. Besides, it’s not like I was following her into places I wasn’t allowed to be or infringing on her privacy. I just sort of…was around.