Revelations

From the time Alasia stepped into the their booth, Ray's stomach fluttered. It'd been years since he'd last seen Lasia. The sight of her brought a smile to his lips, the first full smile since Amani left him.

Time had graced Alasia with good favors, beauty, and curves. He looked her over, noting the changes.

Her caramel complexion glowed, her slightly slanted brown eyes bright. Her once curly jet black mane, was now straightened and resting beyond her shoulders. Her lips full. He wanted to tell her she was beautiful, but he was too nervous.

As Alasia sat across from Ray, she looked him over and it took all she had to not breakdown. Those "things" for him were still there and it angered her so much.

How could he jump from girl to girl, knowing that she was right there before him, waiting, wanting, needing...

Ray stared across the table at a somber Alasia, he smiled again. In response, she frowned.

"Why are you acting like that?" Ray asked.

"I'm not acting any way."

"Well, can you at least pretend that you are happy to see me?"

"I never said that I wasn't happy to see you. Matter of fact, I am happy to see you." Alasia explained, sitting up in her chair.

Ray gave her a soft smile, which she didn't return.

"That doesn't mean I'm still not upset with you."

Ray's smile faded, leaving him with a flat expression. He nodded in understanding.

"I get it," he nodded.

"I don't think you do."

"Why you have to act like that?" he asked, rubbing his forehead.

"I'm not acting anyway," Alasia shrugged before sipping her soda through her straw.

"Then what's that?"

"What's what?"

"That little attitude you having."

"That's not an attitude."

"Then what is it?"

"Ray, it's the pain. I've been hurt, over and over again. If not by family, by friends, and guys. But out of all of them, you ignoring me, hurt the most." her voice cracked.

"I und------," he started.

"Don't say it," she shook her head, "Don't try to justify it either." she quickly finished as she saw him open his mouth again.

"I can't say anything but sorry. I never thought it would hurt you so much."

"How could you not know how I would have felt?" she asked.

"We had so much history and you knew how much I cared for you." she added, looking into his eyes, hurt and anger evident.

"Believe me, if I knew it would, and if I was smart enough to see how things would have turned out, La, I would've never done things I've done."

"What do you mean, Ray?"

Ray sat and stared down at the table, holding his breath as flashbacks of the past few months overwhelmed him. He was lost in his thoughts.

"Ray?" she repeated.

Ray sighed and looked up, refusing to meet her gaze. "Everything is just falling apart. It's like I always pick the wrong ones. Why is it so hard, La?" now it was Ray's voice that cracked.

"You ever think that maybe you're looking in all the wrong places?" she whispered.

As her comment registered, Ray looked up and into her eyes, as he did, he smiled.