Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven 

"Pete, Willie, Jane and Craig, y’all can head into town and get those supplies,” Jeb ordered. “The rest of us will stay here and start cleaning up camp so we can leave out tomorrow at first light.” 

“I’ll go with them,” Gill stated, stepping forward. 

Jeb shook his head. “You’ll stay here and help with the clean up.” 

Gill bristled at the domineering tone in Jeb’s voice. “I want to go to town. I have to take care of some things.” 

Jeb’s eyes flashed and Gill recognized the hunger in them because he had seen it shining out of them just yesterday. Gill knew why the man wanted him to stay here at camp and Gill was determined it wouldn’t happen. That man might be walking, talking, sinful temptation but Gill wouldn’t give in to him--not again. 

Billy stepped forward and slapped his wooden spoon against his hand. “Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to send him along, Jeb. You’re sending Willie and Pete with Jane and that could end up in a fight…”

Jeb grunted. “I know it could and that’s why I’m sending them. If those two are gonna get into a pissing match over her I want it to be done now instead of while we’re working.” 

Billy grinned and scratched at his thick gray beard. “I have a feeling my little Jane will put them both in their place if get too out of hand.” 

Jeb laughed, it was a deep, rumbling, gruff sound that washed over Gill and caused him to tremble. Which, in turn, caused him to grumble under his breath and busy himself with picking at a spot on dirt on his trousers. 

“I have no doubts that Jane could handle both those men if the need arose to show them who the boss was,” Jeb agreed. “But just the same, I’d like to give them the chance to get it out of their system now.” 

Jeb sighed and Gill felt his eyes on him. He slowly looked up and met the tall outlaw’s gaze. “You determined to go?” Jeb questioned. 

Gill nodded. “Yes I am.” 

The look in Jeb’s yes told Gill that the other man knew why he was in such a hurry to get away. Finally Jeb nodded. “Fine. Craig, you stay here!” Jeb called out as Craig mounted his horse. 

“What for? I was looking forward to getting to the saloon before we leave…” 

“You don’t need to be doing that nonsense the night before we head out,” Jeb grumbled. “I need you clear eyed and well rested tomorrow. Gill wants to go to town so you can stay here and help with clean up.” 

Craig was less than pleased as he dismounted and handed his mounts reins to Gill. “Have a good time. If you weren’t Rafe’s boy and you hadn’t defended my best friend just yesterday, I’d be real sore at you.” 

Gill laughed quietly and ruffled the man’s long blond hair. “I think you’re still a bit sore. I’ll let you have the next run into town when it comes.”