Chapter Fourteen: Calling Fire

AN

GUYS, GUYS- For the trailer of TEETH, the second book, I was thinking Delta Rae, Bottom of the River- what do you think? Especially the part where it says "It's a long way down to the river," TELL ME SOME GOOD TRAILER MAKERS, cause I need a g'one. Link me to them below

OR Barton Hollow by the Civil Wars, it really fits it too- where it goes: "Devil's gonna follow me wherever I go, can't no preacher man save my soul," and "When that full moon forced my hand."

OR I Will Never Die by Delta Rae, it's pretty kick ass too- go listen to them and report back to me and tell me whatcha think.

My new ship is Jezebel and Schuyler. #NORAGRATS

It's late afternoon when Schuyler's eyes flicker open.

The moon's light has been replaced by dim sunshine pooling out from the curtains, the light hum of rain tapping on the window; she stretches out her hands, half-expecting to find Lennox already gone.

He isn't.

The man is wrapped with sheets down to his waist, his stomach to the mattress and one heavy arm is tucked tightly beneath his pillow and the other won't let go of Schuyler. He's humming, so softly that she can barely hear it, and his eyes are closed.

"You up?" She whispers, even if she knows the answer.

The duvet is tangled in her legs, twisting her up with Lennox where both of their ankles hook together.

"For a while," he tells her, grinning, and even if it's beginning to be late October, Schuyler swears it feels like a cool Summer morning, waking up feeling like the sun is shining just for your own pleasure and not exactly needing the blankets in fear of freezing.

She nods, turning into him with her nose burying into the slope of his shoulder. "Last night about wore me out," Schuyler's entire body is marked up with pretty little bruises where Lennox held her skin like handles, his own freckled, scarred skin is ripe with angry red trails from scratches, they curve around his back, to his shoulder and down to the pearls of his spine.

His hand droops to her waist, touching softly at the pink skin. "S'gon rain tonight," he drawls it out, that strange accent of his coming out in his heavy tone.

"Little rain ain't gonna hurt me," Schuyler whispers to her mate, staring at him through her lashes. There may be an echo of hesitance at the mention of a downpour, but with Lennox, she won't fear the angry skies as long as he's right next to her.

"Ain't a little, though," Lennox tells her. "Going to pour and apparently the skies aren't feeling any mercy."

"Tessa is going to murder me," Schuyler replies, changing the subject because she doesn't want to focus on her worst fear that is inevitably coming for them: the rain.

"That Volvo out there hers?" Lennox asks, sitting up just enough to see through his second floor window, where it has the view of the front of the house. The silver car is parked beside Quin's Ford, it must be an earlier model- he guesses late '90s.

"Hers, stolen by me," she tells him, her hand moving to feel the nape of his neck. "Actually, can you take a look at it? When I parked in your driveway it started coughing up a storm."

He nods. "Yeah, I'll look up under the hood, after I make sure you eat."

"Depends, what's for breakfast?" His mate asks him, a sly grin on her features.

"Doesn't matter what it is, we have the best cook in a seventy mile radius underneath my roof," the stub on the Alpha's chin brushes on Schuyler's forehead as he reaches down to peck her hair, lips soft in the wild ginger curls.