The Bachelorette

The Bachelorette

I couldn't sleep. It was possible that I'd had too much sweets the day before. I would have to work extra hard, kick a little higher, push a lot longer at Torture, which was starting in a few hours.

It could also be because Levi had fluttered and stayed in my mind the entire night. I contemplated on calling him, but I changed my mind. I did that several times. By the time I had courage to grab my phone, it was 4am. He wouldn't appreciate that. And what if he wasn't alone in bed? I groaned at the possibility.

When Chase came, I was waiting in the car, ready to head to boot camp. She probably could tell that I wasn't in the mood to talk, and so she kept quiet. It was rather eerie considering Chase did not do quiet. When we arrived at the gym, she reached over and gave me a hug. And without a word, she stepped out of the car.

Diego looked even more delicious that morning. He politely greeted me and Seductively smiled. Okay, maybe I imagined that he smiled saucily, maybe it was his regular hottie smile. I, of course, returned a 'g'morning' and walked to my spot at the back of the class where I could look like a fool in gym shorts and a yoga top, away from the rest of the more limber girls.

As I stepped out of the locker rooms, I saw Chase chatting animatedly with DD.

"There she is! Ready to go?" She handed me a smoothie.

"Yup." I turned to our tantalizing trainer. "Great class today. Did Chase tell you that we won't be able to make it Sunday? We have an early event."

Diego nodded. "She did. I hope you ladies have a great time." His smile widened as he leaned closer. "Don't forget to text me your address for Tuesday."

"Oh, I thought I did!" I took out my phone and sent him the information before I changed my mind. "There all done."

Unexpectedly, Diego stepped closer and gave me a soft kiss on the cheek. My mind went blank. But that was it. Chase and I bade her farewell and dashed out of the gym.

****

The rest of Friday and Saturday found me running around like a lunatic during various events: a Sweet Sixteen, an Art Gallery opening, a Fiftieth Anniversary Brunch, a Book Launch, and a Fashion Industry Party that I wasn't even supposed to be involved in (thanks to a slightly disorganized Chase). And thanks also to my convoluted, anxious self, my normally structured timeline and systematic methods had gone bye-bye.

No, this was all Levi's fault. Levi and his... his imbecilic plans of making me jealous, or making me fall for him. I couldn't tell which.

Chase had a blast when I recounted the whole bakery debacle. But she knew how weary I had been with the whole mess making rounds in my mind.

I had paid a quick visit to Sandrine at the townhouse she shared with Jake. Lucky for her she had actually been sick and not told a fib. She looked pale and weak, and I hadn't had the will to read her the riot act. I had informed her that the cake-tasting was inconclusive, and chosen to tell her how idiotic Levi had been. It still wasn't clear to me why they could always turn to Levi. I had a feeling they were keeping something of vital importance.

Mateo had gone home with a few more slices of the cakes from Divine Delights as my way of thanking him for "rescuing" me. I had split the rest and had taken them to Sandrine and Jake so they could give me their opinions.

I came home a bit after 3am on Sunday, and didn't bother changing out of my clothes. In a few hours, I would be picked up and brought to a spa as part of Sandrine's bachelorette party. At least, I had that to look forward to.

At exactly 7am, I was shaken out of bed by the magnanimous Chase. I knew it was seven because she repeatedly yelled it at me. She couldn't have gotten more sleep than me!