Chapter 8 - Closer Than You Think

After having your mom's death anniversary, you decided to walk in the park to have fresh air. As you were walking you saw a daughter and a mother having a chat on the bench. You gave a warm smile but slowly feeling lonely inside. You remembered how you and your mom used to do things together before knowing about the cancer she had.

"...Mom..I miss you...," You muttered to yourself and looked up to the sky while rubbing your arms together.

You walked and walked till you reached a beautiful lake with a couple of white swans waddling there.

=============

In a small mart, Joe was buying some snacks to bring home when he got a call from Nick.

"You're still in the mart right?" Nick asked through the phone.

"Ya, why?" Joe asked while scanning the racks of snacks.

"Can you buy me cadbury chocolates for me while you're there," Nick requested.

"Chocolates? Sure. Anything else?" Joe asked.

"Hey! Buy me tacos!" Joe heard Kevin's voice who seemed to be far away from the phone, shouted.

"Tacos? They don't sell tacos here," Joe sighed.

"They are!" Kevin's voice now can be heard clearly as Joe knew Kevin was near the phone, still shouting.

"Hey! I can hear you clearly! Stop shouting," Joe put the phone away from his ear.

"Opps. Sorry. Hahaha. Back to the subject. They have ready-made tacos in their fridge," Kevin told him.

Joe walked over towards the fridge and scanned the cold items there.

"Found it?" Kevin asked impatiently.

"Wait...I'm still searching," Joe said.

Just then a hand reached on one particular item. Joe glanced over and widened his eyes and cried,"TACOOOOSSSS!!!"

"You found the tacos?! Buy it!!" Kevin sounded excited.

Joe looked back to the fridge and tried to find the packet of tacos but couldn't find it anywhere. Joe looked towards the person who had taken the last of the packet of tacos.

"Joe! Did you buy the tacos?" Kevin asked.

"Sorry. That was the last one. And it was taken by someone else," Joe sighed.

"NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! MY TACOOOOSSSSSS!!!" Kevin cried louder.

Joe jumped in shock by the sudden cry.

"JOE!! Better take that tacos from that person!! I really need to eat the tacos today! It's a matter of life & death!!" Kevin cried again.

"W..What?" Joe sounded confused.

"Joe, I think you NEED to buy it. Cos he won't stop sulking and it looked...serious...," Nick tild him after snatching the phone from Kevin and glanced over to Kevin who was looking lifeless at one corner.

"....Ouh..okay...," Joe sighed and put down the phone.

Joe went to catch up to the person who had the last packet of instant tacos and carefully asked,"Hey, give me that instant tacos."

The person turned around and looked at him with disapproving look and asked,"And why should I? Finder keepers. "

The person did not recognise Joe as he was wearing a cap and a pair of sunglasses.

"I saw that first," Joe said.

"Buy that somewhere else," She arrogantly walked away and head to the counter.

Joe clenched his fist on his failed attempt. He suddenly thought of Kevin if he didn't buy the instant tacos.

"Joe....I want those tacoossssss~"

"My tacooosssssss~"

"Joe.........~"

Kevin will haunt him every way he went and this will suffocate him. Joe shooked his head and peered over to that person who was to reached the counter.

*I MUST GET THAT INSTANT TACOS!!" Joe suddenly feeling determined and an idea hit him.

Joe swiftly leaned against the counter since the worker was busy with the stocks.

"What more do you want?" The person felt irritated.

"Give me that instant tacos and I'll give you my pair of sunglasses," Joe bribed.

"Sorry but I have one at home," The person rejected him.

"Not if...worn by me?" Joe took out his sunglasses off and smirked.

The person widened her eyes and gasped,"J..Jo..-"

Joe closed her mouth and kept a lookout.

"Shhh! Don't expose my identity!!" Joe talked softly.

"I'm a big fan of you!! C..Can I have a photo taken with you?!?!" She asked excitedly.

"Sure. On one condition for the instant tacos," Joe pointed out.

"Deal!!" She snapped a picture with him, still feeling bewildered.

==========

Joe felt relieved as his fan did not want his sunglasses as she told him, he needed it more than she does which was on point. As he was walking along the street, he decided to walk into the park for shortcut. He was whistling when he saw a familiar person sitting on a bench by the side view. He walked closer and found you napping with your head tilted sideways.

*Wonder if she's sitting here just to sleep* Joe thought and without realising, he walked over and sat beside you.

Just then, your head went to rest on his broad shoulders and it surprised him a little. Joe peered over to you who was sleeping soundly. After a while, he heard mumbling from your mouth,"...Mom..Don..'t leave me...Mom..."

Then Joe felt tears on his shoulder and he saw you were crying on your sleep. At first, Joe's hand slowly reached to console her but did not have the courage to but after a while, he stroke her back gently.

Few minutes later, you woke up after having a nice nap. As soon as you opened your eyes, you saw a face a few inches away from you. You startled and backed away to the other end of the bench.

"Good evening~," Joe smiled.

You looked around and you were still in the park.

"Did you have a nice nap?" Joe crossed his leg and looked at you while crossing his arms across.

"...H..How...? And what are you doing here?" You stammered.

"Why? Am I not allowed to be here?" Joe asked while moving closer to you and leaned forward.

You swallowed hard and quickly stood up. Then, you started to walk away from him and Joe went to catch up with you.

"I didn't know you snore in your sleep?" Joe laughed while walking side by side.

You grew flustered and turned to the side while mumbling,"I snore?!?!"

Joe glanced over to you and chuckled as he was just teasing you. You noticed Joe was still following you and asked,"Can you just go on your own way?"

"Why? Don't want people to know where you live? Are you ashamed of your house?" Joe asked while sneering.

"Not ashamed. So if you excuse me, I'm going to take this bus," You quickly board the bus that arrived just in time.

Joe just scoffed and walked home. While walking, he suddenly thought of you. Your face looked peaceful and sweet eventhough you were sleeping.

"...I didn't know she has the pure innocent look when she sleeps..but pretty too..," Joe muttered while thinking of you without realising that he complimented you.

Then he stopped his tracks and facepalmed.

"Did I say she's pretty?! Joe! Stop thinking about her! She's just a nuisance!" Joe talked to himself and continued walking with frustration.

===========