Bittersweet: Chapter Twenty-Four

THIS BOOK IS CURRENTLY BEING REWRITTEN AND HEAVILY EDITED. NAMES, PLACES, AND SOME SCENES WILL BE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. SOME STUFF WILL BE TAKEN OUT AND SOME WILL BE ADDED.

THE INITIAL PLOT STAYS THE SAME.

So, if you begin reading as of 5/21/2021 and choose to read ahead further than I have updated-some things might be confusing or might not make sense. As of right now and will continue, slowly, adding the new chapters as I write them. CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR has been rewritten & updated.

**IF A CHAPTER HAS BEEN REWRITTEN/EDITED THE ^^ABOVE^^ NOTE WILL BE AT THE BEGINNING OF THE CHAPTER.

Chapter Twenty-Four

Eliza

It was Friday. The last five days had passed so slowly that it was damn near miserable. I had cooped myself up in one of Terra's guest bedrooms, refusing to see or speak to anyone. For the first few days, I buried myself under a mound of blankets and pillows wishing badly that I could just somehow stop...Existing. There was no way I could go home and face my daddy or Austin, for that matter. The way Ava looked at me, so pitifully, when she dropped me off here last Saturday afternoon was enough to make me want to crawl in a dark hole and never darken the light of day again.

It was confirmed-I was pregnant.

I damn near hyperventilated as that female nurse, who wasn't Ava's brother-in-law, came in to tell me the news. As she asked me the timeline of my recent sexual endeavors, I spouted off as best as I could. Long story short, she did the math. I was at most seven weeks pregnant. I had dozens of informational pamphlets, ranging from what to expect to adoption to abortion, sticking out of my purse, weighing down my entire being. Along with those heavy weighing pamphlets, I had a referral to an OB-GYN and instructions to get an appointment soon because it was best to start prenatal care as early as possible. Once Ava and I left the hospital, we drove out to the middle of nowhere and just sat in silence.

"What am I gonna do, Ava? This wasn't supposed to happen. Daddy...Oh! What will I tell him? He'll be so disappointed." I began to cry again as I hunched over in the passenger seat with my head between my legs, trying to calm accelerated breathing.

A gentle hand rubbed my back, "You have to calm down, Elizabeth. This isn't healthy for you...Or the baby." She whispered barely as if someone would hear her even though there was no one around for miles.

"I can't calm down! I'm pregnant. Pregnant! I'm not married. What will people think of me? And Austin, he'll hate me if I try to hold this over him."

Ava sucked in a deep breath, "Eliza, I love you with all of my heart but it's a little too late to be worried about that now."

I sobbed, but I knew she was right. There was no one to blame but myself.

She pulled me close, "My Abuela used to sing me a song when I was younger. Whenever I'd get down and out she'd sing Que Sera Sera. You've always reminded me of that song, even from when you were little. Have you ever heard it?"

I shook my head.

Ava began to hum the sound of a song and began to sing. "When I was just a little girl, I asked my mother, "What will I be? Will I be pretty? Will I be rich?" Here's what she said to me- Que sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see. Que sera, sera. What will be, will be"

She's always had such a lovely voice, and what she sings brings tears to my eyes but I don't say anything.

"I know that right now, nothing seems okay, and you might think that it will never be okay but all you can do is be strong and everything will turn out the way it's supposed to." With that, she started the engine. "Now, I know you have all of that information, but I-I think it's best if you just sit on it for a week or so. You don't want to make any hasty decisions that you might regret later."