Chapter 25- Two Minds

-Rafe-

I couldn't believe all the rogues had been telling the truth. I mean, I was glad they had been because I didn't want to bring a group into our pack that could have potentially been dangerous to my people. I had been entirely too careless bringing these men and women in. I had just done what Katarina asked, but next time I was going to think twice. It may have worked out this time, but who knows what could have happened. That's why I had been hesitant listening to her about how to handle the rogues.

I appreciated her ideas, and it was nice to have someone else to talk to about everything, I just couldn't be too eager with her. I had been weak agreeing to let the rogues in. I had been blinded by her and the situation I had put us into. I wasn't going to let that happen again, there was no way.

Even if I wanted to take Katarina's advice and try talking to these people, how could that possibly help? They were determined for war, blood is what they were after and words wouldn't sate that. I knew for a fact. There was a reason they wanted to come after me, and talking to them wouldn't change that.

Talk was never a strong point of anyone in our Alpha line. Talking gets no where, you can talk in circles for hours or days but when minds are made up, you can't change that. How can I try to fight something that won't change? Those people won't give up their stance just because I step out and talk to them, they wouldn't just nod and agree and gather around with us to sing Kumbaya.

Even with all of that, there was the nagging in my head that I should try to listen to her. Katarina was my Luna after all. Maybe her instincts were right and I was the one who needed to just shut up and listen for once. But I just didn't know how.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Katarina-

I had been thinking of ways to do this. I knew something needed to be done before Rafe made his decision to go out and attack. I knew there wasn't much of a chance he would change his mind. He didn't know any other way besides war to solve problems. If he was met with a challenge, I was pretty certain he would face it head on, claws bared.

I just needed a way to figure out what to do, and I was sure I knew who to talk to.

I ran out after Nolan, catching him before he was too far away.

"I need your help," I said as I jogged right up beside him.

Nolan turned toward me, surprised.

"What can I do for you?"

"I can't let Rafe go after the rogues. I can't let him fight them, there has to be another way to fix this that doesn't involve bloodshed and death."

Nolan stared at me as if he couldn't quite comprehend what I was saying. Was it really that crazy of an idea? Just talk people! I rolled my eyes and continued on.

"I was thinking maybe there was a way we could talk to them. To see what their problem is and to see if we could find a different way to fix it, a way everyone can walk away from."

"Do you really think that could happen? Rafe has a bit of a reputation."

"I know he does, but I think this would be the perfect way to change it. He can finally have an allience with someone else instead of having the pack out all on its own." I said excitedly.

"The pack seems to have faired well on its own. There's a strong army, a large group of people who seem to back their Alpha up as well as his decisions."

"But it doesn't have to be like this. What I've been trying to say to him is just picture it. We have a strong pack and a strong army now. What would it be like with some alliences, to have other people who would be willing to work with us, to fight with us if we needed it? Rafe can't possibly be the worst thing out there in this world and who knows, there may come a day when he needs it. If his enemies band together to come after him, what if he needs more people than we have? This could be an opportunity."

"What makes you think the rogues even want to talk, Kat?"

"What makes you think they don't?" I replied putting my hands on my hips. "They clearly have a problem, they want something either from Rafe or from this pack. Who's to say that talking won't make it better?"

Nolan just shook his head. "I've just lived on the outside a lot longer than you have Kat. I've seen things. You haven't been here long enough, you haven't lived out there long enough," he gestured past the trees and the pack line. "You don't understand how it all works. When people, especially rogues, get bloodlust on their mind, nothing will sate it but the fight."

"Just because that's what you've seen doesn't mean that's how it all works." I said quietly.

Was that how it worked though? Was I just being naive for thinking I could possibly change what was going on? I had been the quiet one. I had observed people in my old pack for years, and the one thing I had learned was that everyone had something they wanted to say. Some just went to extreme lengths to say it. That could just as easily be what the rogues were doing, going to extreme lengths to make themselves be heard.

Nolan's eyes softened slightly. His hand reached out and touched my shoulder, grasping it firmly. "I just don't want you to get your hopes up, Kat. The world isn't exactly a perfect place, not everything can be fixed with words."

Nolan paused and I could tell he was turning something over in his head.

"If you really want to try this, then I say go for it. But you need to be extremely careful. You should take someone with you, someone experienced, someone who could help you if you get in trouble. Someone that you trust to have your back."

I was taken aback. Nolan actually just said go for it. Even after everything else he had said, he thought I should go for it. It hadn't really mattered what he said or not, I was going to try this either way, but he had actually agreed with me.

Taking an experienced person with me though, someone who knew how this all worked, someone who I trusted to have my back. There were three people I would trust with that, but two of them were out of the question.

There was no way Rafe would possibly agree to going out there with me, in fact, he would probably to stop me.

Ty was also out, I knew he would just take the information back to Rafe. He would go to him and tell him what I was planning to do, and then Rafe would once again try to stop me.

The third person however, well, he was standing right in front of me.

"You," I said.

Nolan looked at me confused. "What?"

"I want you. To go with me I mean. I want you to go with me when I talk to the rogues."

"Are you sure?" He asked.

"Why not? You're experienced. You've been a rogue for two and a half years, you lived with them, you know how rogues operate. And I know you wouldn't let anything happen to me, I trust that you'd have my back. You're the perfect person to go with me. I can't ask Ty because he'd just take it back to Rafe, and I know what he would say. You agree with me and I trust you."

Nolan stared at me for a moment longer.

"So, what do you say?" I asked.

He kept quiet for a minute, looking me over until he finally spoke up. "Alright. Let's do this thing I guess.

I smiled trying to hold back my excitement. I was finally going to do something to help the pack.

*************

So she got Nolan to agree to help her. Katarina is going to talk to the rogues and see if she can fix whatever the problem is. What do y'all think about that?

Remember to leave your Comments below, and don't forget to Vote and Fan!! <3