Chapter Thirty-Eight

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi everyone!

Here's chapter 38! It is a very short chapter and I've purpousely made it this length since chapter 39 will be very long and we shall be changing point of views/narrators! This chapter has also not been edited or read over thoroughly, so please point out any errors if you see any!

Secondly, thank you all so much for the response on chapter 37! All of your comments were so lovely and I appreciate all of your votes! Also, TNTCE has gained over 30,000 reads since I uploaded chapter 37 which is CRAZY! Thank you to all of you new readers who have only just stated reading!

I've recieved quite a lot of questions about the ending and when it is, well there are two more chapters and then an epilogue and a letter! So sadly, but thankfully, this story shall be coming to an end!

Well, I hope you enjoy this chapter and please comment below on your thoughts on the chapter, or the story as a whole! And of course, please vote! I thank you all and I love you all too!

Chelcia xx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kayla: 39 weeks pregnant

I’m seated at the dining table with a bowl of muesli and fruit in front of me when a voice in a low voice says, “Good morning.” I turn around to see Damion strolling towards me in nothing but his famous grey sweatpants and oh-my, he’s so beautiful. His dazzling smile as he drags his hand through his floppy, curly hair makes me want to just run up and kiss him – but I can’t, well not the running part at least. “You were up early, how are you feeling?” he then asks, “And you look lovely this morning.”

Now standing behind me, he lowers his head, pressing a kiss onto my cheek and I smile as I stroke his face.  I then let out an exasperated sigh and say, “I honestly couldn’t sleep last night, I just felt so uncomfortable,” I explain whilst rubbing my stomach and leaning my head back in defeat. “My whole body feels so sore and my pelvis literally feels like it’s about to collapse and not to mention, my back kills. I am so over being pregnant,” I complain, “I just want him to be here already so that we can meet him and so that everything will be over with. I will literally have sex twice a day if that’s going to help induce my labour.”

“Hush,” he soothes and he wraps his hands around me, holding me as he presses a long kiss into my hair. I exhale and close my eyes, leaning my head back against his chest as he says, “I know that I’m not the one that’s going through all of this and I wish that I could do something to stop some of what you’re feeling.” He buries his nose in my hair and then says, “But don’t stress yourself, baby,” he murmurs and he places his hands on my belly, “Isn’t Daddy right? Mummy should stop stressing and just stay relaxed!”

I smile as I realise that he’s talking to the baby and then suddenly say, “Oh! Did you feel that?” as the baby moves around inside.

He chuckles and says, “You see, he’s moving because he agrees with me!”

He makes his way to the kitchen and I stand. I can’t stay in one place! I’ve been pacing the apartment since seven o’clock this morning and doing small menial things to keep myself occupied, when the only thing I’ve really wanted to do is sleep. My hands stray down to my belly, and I rub it consciously. I bet you can’t wait to come out as well, little baby, it must be hard for you too! It still annoys me that we haven’t decided on a name, especially since he’s due next week. We’re deciding between Elliot and Matthew, but my Mom keeps suggesting Daniel and every time we speak to Damion’s Mom, she’s pretty adamant about Kyle.

My thoughts are interrupted as Damion calls out, “Was that my phone?” I burrow my brow in confusion and I look around the room, what phone? He then enters the room with a half eaten banana in his hand, “I’m sure that I heard a message notification on my phone?”

“I honestly don’t know what you’re talking about,” I say, “Maybe losing your hearing is another part of being pregnant.”

He laughs a small laugh and walks across the vast living room in the direction of our bedroom and I continue walking around the space, with no particular intent.  

Minutes later, Damion returns and he’s staring down at his phone. His brows are buried and his blue eyes dark and he looks uncertain, even nervous He then looks up at me and his Adam’s apple retrieves to the back of his throat before returning as he swallows hard.

“What’s wrong? Has something happened?” I ask.

He walks to me, but he doesn’t say a word. He hands me his cell phone and sighs, before brushing his fingers through his hair and waiting for my response. My brows burrow together in confusion as I stare down at the screen, but my face then falls as I see the contact’s name – Rosie.

“What is this?” I ask, narrowing my lips, “What do you want me to do?”

“Just read it.”

I swallow hard and frown as I begin.

Please don’t ignore this. This is going to be the last thing I ask of you, but I need to talk to you and it needs to be in person. I won’t bother you again but please meet me at my house, it’s really important – Rosie x

I roll my eyes and say, “Well? I don’t know what you expect me to say...”

“Should I go and see her or not?” he asks, “It might actually be important this time and well, she says she won’t bother me again.”

I turn around and drop his phone on the dining table and it makes a louder bang than expected against the glass. I begin to pace the room and I massage my hand into my back as another shooting pain approaches. I close my eyes, inhaling briefly before exhaling and then turn to face him, “Well do you want to? I’m not going to tell you what to do and what not to do; you’re a grown man and you can make your own decisions.”

“I know it sounds crazy, but something’s telling me to go and see her, even if it’s just for five minutes. I want to hear what she has to say,” he explains, but I can’t help but roll my eyes.

I turn around and continue to pace the room near the table, “Well if that’s what you want to go, then go ahead,” I spit.

“Babe, don’t act like this.”

“Like what?”

“Why are you angry? You trust me don’t you?” I pause in my steps, and turn to face the great windows, staring straight outside at the view with narrowed eyes. Trust? He thinks this is about trust? Of course I trust him. I’m just annoyed that he thinks going to have a little ‘talk’ with his loony ex-girlfriend is so important. He continues, “Look, I don’t want you to get upset abou-” but I stop him midsentence.

I want to shout at him, but I refrain. I’ll only be over reacting and I shouldn’t get worked up over something so small. I exhale, “Just go, Damion,” I say and I turn to face him. “There’s no point in us arguing about this and I literally have no effort to do so as well. So please,” I pause and momentarily close my eyes as I exhale once more, “Just do what you have to do.”