Chapter Seven

The very next day, just before 9th period, I spot Craig in the hallway laughing with some guy in a jersey. Since I didn't get to see Craig at lunch because he needed to finish his English final, this is my time to gloat.

I tap on his shoulder. He turns and raises an eyebrow at my smug smirk. "You look evil when you smile like that."

"Guess what?" I say but don't give him time to guess. "I landed a job at a café yesterday so you can take that story about me at your Dad's work and shove it up your ass."

Craig laughs. "What happened during that Bring Your Kid to Work Day isn't a story. It's a true fact in our history, thanks to you."

"Hey, Craig," a voice coos from our left. I tense upon hearing it, shoving my hands in my back pockets to keep calm. I swear I see Craig's face pale a shade as her voice buzzes around us like a wasp. He glances at me with a look of caution.

"Addie," Craig mutters civilly. She comes to stand beside him and doesn't even acknowledge my presents. "What's up?"

"I'm having a party tonight and would be devastated if you didn't show." She tilts her head to the side, causing strands of dirty blonde hair to fall and rest on her cheek.

"I think you'll live through it," Craig assures her with a slight smile. Even though I try to keep it in, I chuckle. I notice her jaw tighten but she still doesn't look in my direction. It's like I'm finally invisible.

"Well, you should definitely consider it. Invites only so you should feel honored." She smiles, even though her words sounded like an insult. Spinning, Addie struts away.

"How has she not dislocated a hip with the way she throws them around like that?" I wonder out loud, genuinely baffled.

"Don't ask me. That's some kind of female techniq-"

Just then, Abigail comes rushing for us as energetic and vivacious as ever, her backpack smacking her butt as she runs. She's wearing a pair of shorts and a purple Aerosmith t-shirt. "You guys, we have to go tonight."

"You better not be talking about Addie's party," I warn.

"Gag. No way. I mean the carnival." She intertwines her fingers, looking like a fourteen year old girl asking her parents if she can go out on a date. "Please, please, please can we all go together? It'll be so cool, we can ride rides or not if that's not what you're into. We can eat cotton candy and carnival food and watch the fireworks and listen to music and go through the fun houses and eat cotton can-"

"Okay, okay. Just breathe, Abigail. Geez," I say smiling. She unclasps her hands.

"So?" She pushes, looking between Craig and I.

The last time I was at the carnival, I was with Connor and Craig. I remember the smell of carnival food, popcorn and life. The colors coming alive when night fell, the way they bounced and reflected off every surface they could just to be noticed. Carnivals open up your senses. They bring back genuine smiles and uncontrollable laughter.

I glance at Craig. He's staring at Abigail with a sympathetic expression. Is he about to tell her he can't go? Is he remembering what I'm remembering? Could he be wondering what it'll be like going to his first carnival without his little brother?

"Sure, I'll go," I say, before I can talk myself out of it.

Craig looks a little shocked by my decision. Abigail jumps for joy but soon stops to plead Craig one more time. He cracks soon after too. As Abigail is hopping like a child before a trip to the candy shop, I spot Will down the hall handing a notebook to another student.