Let's Go, Fertilize That Lawn NOW!

I made mention of the fact that fertilizing the lawn this time of year is a big thing. Why? Why? WHY? Okay chill out. Here is the deal. The real deal, not what you may hear from a lawn care company looking to make an up sale, or a lawn center trying to move some product. The correct answer and the one that is most important to the turf grass plant itself. Since the plant is trying to absorb as much energy as possible before it goes dormant, fertilizing it with the right formulation, the one I suggested yesterday or a similar equivalent (one that is heavier in the last two numbers), will help you achieve that goal.

The three key elements to a fertilizer formulation are nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, N-P-K. The nitrogen is the key element in making the grass green and helps blade growth. The last two are the key elements in root growth. The root system right now is trying to store up as much energy (sugar and carbohydrates) as possible before the blades of the grass go dormant. The fertilizer will help achieve that goal. During the winter we will have more time to go over fertilizer, what the kind to use, and when, so don’t fret, I will guide you through it, no problem. I’ll make it easy to understand.

Another question homeowners have right now is should I wait until the leaves are all up to do this? Personal choice and philosophy play into this answer. I would say, get the leaves first, as most people have to do this numerous times. Apply the fertilizer and let it sit until the leaves are almost all down. Why not use the leaves to your advantage? The leaves retain moisture like natural mulch, which they are, and that will help the fertilizer break down into the soil for the roots to absorb. Otherwise fertilizing on top of them does not allow all the fertilizer to reach the soil, you lose out and your time and money is not optimized. After all results and maximizing our returns in something we all would like.

Thanks for checking in. I am more than happy to field any and all questions that you have, sincerely. Please remember that I have a digital short for sale on Smashwords titled Signed, Sealed and Delivered. Currently it is riding near top, number six, of the Highest Rated category after only being out for five days. There are more in the series and we will be releasing them soon. Also feel free to follow us on any other of the many websites you can find us.