Chapter Nine: Always Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide

Dedicated to illuminate_ for the cover attached to this chapter!

I'm not quite sure what's going on with this chapter (because it wasn't meant to exist), but the next one hopefully won't take as long because i have quite a bit written of it <3

A THANK YOU GOES OUT TO ALL YOU READERS FOR SOMEHOW MANAGING TO GET ME TO 76 IN HUMOUR AND 102 IN TEEN FICTION!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HAPPY THAT MADE ME!!!

ALSO a HUGE thank you to anyone who voted for, commented on, or even just read Annabelle and Parker you were so much help! Thank you all!

As always if you could just highlight any mistakes you see that would be amazing :)

Comments and votes are always apriciated but as always please ENJOY:

::My Happily Never After::

Chapter Nine: Always Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide

There was something weird happening.

I stared at my bedroom door cautiously, my hand hovering warily over the door handle.

I couldn’t hear any yelling. On a Thursday there was always, without fail, an argument. But even as I stained my ears I couldn’t hear so much as a heated words being exchanged.

I knew that the saying was not to look a gift horse in the mouth – but this felt like a trap.

Taking a deep breath I went for it – opening the door.

“Hey, Dad.” I said warily as I entered the kitchen, finding him sat at the table, hugging a mug of coffee between his hands.

“Hi, Pumpkin.” He said giving me a tired smile.

I returned it hesitatingly. “So…where’s mum?” I asked.

“At your Aunt’s house.” He answered casually.

“Doesn’t she live in Portsmouth?” I asked incredulously.

“Yup.”

“What’s she doing there?” I asked astonished.

“Proving a point I think.” He said, taking a large sip of his drink.

“What? But- but what about her job?”

“She’s taking a small break. She’s been planning this for quite some time apparently.” He said sounding half bitter as he swallowed the rest of his drink in one gulp.

“Planning what, exactly?”

He rolled his eyes. “She’s trying to show me I can’t function without her.” He answered, looking bored.

My eyes widened. “Dad!” I half yelled, trying to knock some sense into him. “You can’t function without her.” I told him bluntly. “You need her.”

For as long as I’d known the two of them they’d never worked properly without the other. My mother needed someone to scold, and my father needed someone to scold him.

My dad gave me a wry smile. “For what? To yell at me? You seem to be doing fine with that on your own.”

“DAD!” I yelled.

He laughed. “Yup, just like that.” He told me, standing up and patting me patronisingly on the head. “Though you might want to throw a few swear words in there too.”