Tangled Fates - Chapter 12

* I haven't had time to proof read this chapter so forgive any mistakes, I'll sort them when I get time to!! :P * 

IMPORTANT:  Sorry, I haven't been on in forvever, I've been busy editing because..... I'm SELF-PUBLISHING "The Perfect Summer Had To End Sometime"!!!!! I've renamed it to "When Summer Ends" and it'll be published some time in October - watch my page for more details if you're interested!! :D  

                                                            Chapter 12 

Morning sickness my arse, they should call it morning, noon, and night sickness. The throwing up was endless and exhausting. I could barely keep anything down, even water. As soon as I opened my eyes in the morning the sickly feeling in my stomach flared up, and then as soon as I moved I was sick.

The only thing that made me feel marginally better was sucking peppermints and nibbling on ginger biscuits. It had been the same for the last two weeks. Somehow I’d managed to pass off my condition as stomach flu - how my dad bought it I had no idea. I guess he hadn’t expected me to come home from a visit to the UK knocked up. Leticia hadn’t really seemed that bothered about me being ill and not eating. The only thing that she was concerned about was that I not breathe in her direction and I squirted antibacterial gel on my hands throughout the day so that she didn’t catch it. One day she’d even gone so far as to say that I should look on the bright side, the throwing up had made me lose a few pounds from my arse. She said that maybe I should hope I carried on being sick for another week. Of course the sneaky little witch had made sure my dad was out of earshot when she said it though.

I was now officially eight weeks pregnant and I could hide it no more. I couldn’t blame a bug any longer because my dad was threatening to call a doctor to come and look at me in case it was something serious. Little did he know how serious and life changing it really was.

I sighed and looked up at my ceiling, praying this would go all right. Today was the day that I would confess the real reason for me being sick, moody, grouchy and downright nasty for the last few weeks. I’d just hung up the phone from Erin who did her usual moral boosting pick me up speech in a bid to give me some confidence. I actually had no idea how my dad was going to take it at all.

Taking one last deep breath I forced myself to get up off of the bed. I’d heard him come home about half an hour ago so hopefully they would have got the awkward welcome home kissing out of the way already. Hopefully he’d had a good day at work so he wouldn’t be in a bad mood because that would make this twice as hard.

Voices from the lounge drew my body in that direction. I stopped at the corner and peeked in, seeing my dad and the witch sitting on the sofa, watching TV in silence.

“Come on, Kayleigh, you can do this,” I muttered to myself. Chewing on my lip, I stepped around the corner. My dad automatically looked up at me and smiled warmly. Leticia just looked at me with indifference as usual. “Hi,” I greeted, hoping that I was smiling back. I wasn’t really sure even how to smile anymore, it had felt like an age that I’d genuinely felt like smiling.

“Hi, munchkin. What are you doing here? Not working tonight?” my dad asked.

I shrugged. Work. Something else that was just another pain in my arse. I was a waitress for a fairly posh restaurant; the smell of the place did nothing to help my sickness. “Not tonight, I got the night off.” More like I’d called in sick again…

“How are you feeling today? You look a little better,” my dad commented, patting the sofa next to him and smiling sympathetically.

“She was sick again earlier,” Leticia answered for me before I could even open my mouth. Her look was distasteful as she wrinkled her nose at me.