「Ten Dead」

The white-haired girl was perched on a lunch table outside her middle school. Because of gym, her hair was pulled back into a ponytail, showcasing the bright green color of her eyes as she aimlessly stared up at the sky. She was so bored, she was making scenes out of the clouds. She couldn't wait to be in the same school as Takashi and the others that was for sure. At least then she could hang out with someone. Here, no one would approach her.

It was her fault, to be honest. She was horrible when it came to talking to people and froze anytime someone did approached her, but still—it sucked being by herself all the time.

"Are you Yuki Hatsune?" a sweet voice asked.

Yuki looked down at a petite brunette staring at her. She had short, cropped hair that went just above her shoulders with bangs outlining her dark skin. Her school uniform matched Yuki's: white long-sleeve with a maroon bow and matching skirt. The black heels she was wearing made Yuki's flats look like garbage, so she tried not to look at them for too long.

When the girl cleared her throat, Yuki realized she was waiting for an answer.

"Uh, yeah," she muttered, confused.

The girl smiled. "I'm Miku Yuuki. We're in the same gym class."

Realization hit her: this was the girl that played on her baseball team today.

"Hi," Yuki mumbled.

Why was Miku talking to her now? In class, she and everyone else acted as if Yuki wasn't even on the team, preferring to believe she wasn't there and do all the work themselves.

"I was just wondering why you wear those leggings," Miku said matter-of-factly, tilting her head. "You have such pretty long legs; it's a shame to hide them."

"Uh, I just... Well, you see..."

But she didn't her enough time to make up an excuse. "Afraid those friends of yours will find out?"

Yuki blinked, taken back. "What are you talking about?"

"You know what I'm talking about," Miku said. "Those scars on your legs aren't from just anything, are they? I saw them during gym today; they were absolutely horrendous."

She didn't know what to say, so she didn't say anything, watching as Miku casually sat next to her.

Miku's expression didn't change; the same carefree smile on her as she looked at Yuki. "Not that I blame you. If I was so horrible that my parents had to beat me, I'd hide it too, especially if I wanted to keep my friends."

Yuki physically flinched, recoiling.

But that didn't stop Miku. If anything, it encouraged her. "'Cuz, you know, if those upperclassmen that you hang out with ever found out how pathetic you are, they'd hate you. If your own parents don't like you, how can you expect anyone else to?"

Yuki hadn't planned it. One minute she was horrorstricken, mind racing with the sudden apprehension that this girl was right, the next her fist was throbbing and Miku was holding her bleeding face, outraged.

"You bith!" she screamed, "You brokeh my nothe!"

Yuki ran, just turned on her heel and bolted. Tears were burning her eyes, and she was shaking so badly, she could hardly open the gate to get out.

If your own parents don't like you, how can you expect anyone else to?

They'd hate you.

They'd hate you.