Chapter 19

Chapter 19

"Shots! Shots! Shots!"

A handful of the Mayhem interns, accompanied with Kevin, Bessa and Tony, were now surrounding me and Queenie as six shot glasses are laid out in front of us. The bar counter is slippery underneath my elbows which made me shiver in disgust. There was already a warmth starting to grow in the pit of my chest after downing two mixed drinks, I could only imagine how smooth these shots were going to be.

Queenie stared at me with a challenging look. "You ready?"

I equal her intimidating stare. "The question is, are you ready?"

"Whenever you are," She fired back with a smile.

"Go!" I announced. Behind us, the interns are hooting and hollering, their voices blurring as I reach for the first shot and quickly chugged it. I don't have time to think about the burning in my throat because my hand is already reaching for the second shot. This one goes down a lot smoother now that my throat has been coated with fine liquor.

My mouth was tingling from the spirit of alcohol, my tongue burning with the edge of bitterness. Tequila had never been a loyal friend of mine, but boy did she get the job done. Before my mind could start to spin and my vision goes array, I reached for the third shot. The glass is cold against my scalding hot lips. The warmth in the pit of my chest has now scattered across every cell running in my body.

"Ah!" I let out a breath reeking of alcohol after swallowing the last shot. My throat is now scorching with every second passing but my spirits were lifted. I felt relieved. The stress from work, the complications with Nate, all problems were completely out of my system.

But my mind was spinning drastically. I didn't think I'd be able to step off this bar stool without help.

"That was a terrible idea," Queenie winced when she finished her shot. The rest of the interns were now cheering at our expense, but I feel so good that I didn't even care how bad of an idea it was.

"It's okay! Tomorrow's Saturday, we don't have to do anything," I heard my own words on the edge of a slur.

"Yup," She nodded. "I'm drunk."

"Atta girl!" One of the Mayhem interns patted her back.

"I had no idea you had it in you Haley," Tony rubbed my own back. "You are a champ."

"I'm guessing you're done for the night?" Kevin asked.

"I'm done for the year," I announced, covering my forehead with my hand. The room wouldn't stop spinning. And was it me, or did the DJ raise the volume of the music?

"Let's dance!" Bessa tugged on my arm. The shaking movement resonates through my whole body and makes me tingly everywhere.

"Gimme a second," I muttered quietly.

"We'll see you on the dancefloor!" Queenie cupped my shoulder before she followed everyone to the middle of the crowded room.

I closed my eyes and let the alcohol sink into my veins, bubbling the tensions away. It was almost spiritual really. After what seemed like minutes, I felt the presence of a body hovering in the seat next to me but I can't find the energy to open my lids. It felt familiar - this person's scent, the music, the people, the alcohol. How many times did I have to relive the same night without having any conflicts?

"Are you doing okay?" The person asked.

From the deep concernced voice, it takes a quick second to gather who it is. Though I'm shocked, I don't have enough in me to physically react. "I think so. Am I flying or is it just me?"