Chapter 17

"Will you stop worrying, everything will be fine." Toby rubbed my back as we sat on his bed discussing my current living situation. My mother could barely get around for what I had heard and she was going to be staying with my aunt so her injury didn't take away from school. I was forced to live with my father on the side of town I attempted to stay away from.

I've never been ashamed to be black, I'm black and I'm proud, but I can't tolerate ignorance. Being black doesn't mean fried chicken, saggy pants, and bad grammar. I hated being called an Oreo as a child because it symbolized that black people couldn't be educated and talk proper unless they were white. It was an insult to your own race. Toby didn't understand that. Toby didn't understand that if I lived in that neighborhood I'd be bullied for having a white boyfriend.

"It's not that simple Toby."

"Why not? I'll be down there to visit every day."

"You can't Toby."

"Why not? I can come over when your dad is working or something."

I took a deep breath, "that's not your side of town Toby," I snapped lowly. I closed my eyes before looking into Toby's eyes and seeing straight shock.

"What the fuck is that suppose to mean Nat?"

"It means that down there this," I pointed a finger between Toby and I, "this doesn't happen. I'll be bullied if I don't get beat half to death."

"You're ashamed of me?"

"If I was ashamed of you we would never go out. I'm not ashamed of you Toby, I'm protecting us."

"Protecting us from what Nat? Who gives a fuck about what a bunch of racist think? Natalie I am with you because you are beautiful and sassy, I didn't even consider what race you are." Toby was yelling and I rubbed my temples. Why was he so upset? I never said I was racist or mad about him being white?

"I don't understand why you're mad. I never said I felt any of those things I'm explaining the situation to you. Everyone on that side of town and even some of my own family hate the fact that white people and black people date. It's a sad truth, but it's the truth anyhow."

Toby stood up and walked over to his wall. He stood there for a second before punching a hole through it. I stared at him as he managed to cool his breathing and look at me.

"I understand that Nat, I never expected everyone to love me. To love us, but what do they matter?"

I sat on the edge of Toby's bed and took a deep breath, "I think we should break up Toby."

"Excuse me? For what reason?"

"Toby, I want to live a good life. I want to be accepted, I don't want to live being teased and if this last I don't want my children going through it. I think it's better if we just end it now and forget about it."

"Forget about it? I'm suppose to forget about the best months and weeks of my life?"

"Toby it hurts me like hell too, but you don't understand," I stood up and kissed Toby's cheek as I exited out of his door.

"You know Nat, the funny thing is is that I thought you weren't the type of girl to care what people think. Looks like I was wrong. But it's fine, I'll find a white bitch and I'll get all my friends that I lost back and I'll be happy. But Natalie you'll always be in my mind because I will never forget the first girl that made me chase her and the first girl that broke my heart."

Author's Note
Short, but powerful. So what the hell just happened? This can not happen to Noby or Totalie. Vote, comment, and follow. Thank you.