What is she hiding from?

Rosalie’s POV

When you think about it, things really never turn out the way you planned. Things are never the same in person than what you imagined. You don’t expect your plans not to happen. Just like how I didn’t expect to be in this café with a guy named Riley because my roommate, who is a guy, is having sex with someone. When you put it like that, yes it is weird to think about. I expected to go to school and be hidden and live my life just fine, expectations don’t go through.

“What’s your favourite colour?” Riley’s question drawled me out of my thoughts; I had been here an hour or so and have had about two coffees. Riley has been asking me questions about myself and my instinct was, just go with it.

“Red, a real dark red,” I smiled at him and he rose his eyebrows smiling back before replying.

“That scares me a little.” He chuckled running his fingers over his knuckles.

I raised my eyebrows quizzing before speaking, “Why is that?” and with that I bought the coffee cup to my lips, bitter sweet taste filled my mouth as I felt the cold liquid go down my throat.

“Blood Rosalie, you like the colour of blood. How do I know you aren’t some vampire or something wanting to see mine?” This time he raised his eyebrows and a questioning smirk came upon his lips.

“If I was a vampire in desperate need of human blood, I think I would have sucked it out of you by now.” I shrugged looking up at him as he wore a wide grin like a Cheshire cat. I would never be here talking to this boy I hardly knew if that incident didn’t happen, and as I thought about it a shaky thought crossed through my mind. I had nowhere to stay tonight; I had no place to run back to, no one to crash with. I slumped down, I’d have to find a motel or something for the night because I knew for a fact I was not going back to that dorm; no way. I looked around the café, it was beautiful and small. There were little wooden chairs and tables, it was old fashioned, “Favourite thing about New York?” I looked at him chuckling shyly before a reply slipped through my lips.

“I have been here merely a week; I don’t have a great opinion or favourite thing about it yet.” His eyes widened then sparkled down at me before replying.

“Where are you from? Why are you here? Are you okay?” I laughed at him before raising one of my hands.

“Slow down, I’m from a small town in California, I am here because I go to the college here on a scholarship and yes I am fine thank you.” I giggled slightly and his eyes warmed.

“Cali that’s a nice place, did you apply at NYU?” His eyes sparkled and danced towards me, I smiled back before replying again.

“No, actually I was just planning to go the local college from home, but my English teacher sent in my grades and they sent me a letter to come for early admission. And then I did and well, yeah.” I nodded confirming my story and smiling at him slightly.

“That’s great; you should have more faith in yourself Rose.” My ears picked up when he called me Rose, and heat went to my cheeks. “Are you, are you blushing?” He chuckled at me and I hid my face between my hands to stop him from seeing, and he chuckled harder. A real throaty laugh and he tried to grab my hands away from my face. He succeeded a few minutes later and I bit my lip. I heard his laugh no more and I looked up to see him smile while his eyes were dancing with amusement.

“Why are you blushing young Rosalie?” He laughed a little and I smiled slightly looking down.

“I don’t know I just, have never really revealed so much information to someone else other than family.” This seems to make him laugh harder and I furrowed my eyebrows at him in confusion.