Chapter 40

Chapter 40 - unedited

*Thursday 30th June*

The diamond chandelier dangling from the top of the ceiling was John Grey, Xander's father's, most prized possession. Throughout the entire castle, this hand carved ancient masterpiece is what he treasured most. He had it put up in the ballroom, the only place that has been left untouched since the 1600's after the entire place had been stripped down and modernized to fit the new century. 

And it shined so bright up there, and it caught Ara's sight. She stood there, listening to John explain the story over and over, about how a magnificent artist Alessandro Di Bernado, an old Italian werewolf who had lived in ancient times. 

"It's believed that Alessandro received diamonds and crystals as a gift from the Luna, after helping her. He created the chandelier, and every painting in this ballroom with his own hands and materials given to him by the Goddess herself. He was a blessed man. With power and a pure genuine soul that apparently caught the eye of the Great Luna." Xander has heard this story thousands and thousands of times while growing up. He loved it, he loved how intriguing it was but he after hearing it so many times, it was almost getting boring.

But Ara held her wine glass and listened with wide eyes. "Alessandro is an Italian name, meaning defender of Men. We, are unfortunately not related to such a great man who created an impact on the werewolf world, but that would be quite a good thing. Nobody knows if Alessandro has even produced any future bloodlines, he was believed to be mated and engaged to a beautiful english maiden, daughter of the Werewolf King at the time. Her name was Charlotte. Charlotte Pi-Piccerbell? I'm not exactly sure of this last name, I've searched through books, journal entries, and each time it's something different." He explained, walking Ara throughout the ball room. 

She looked beautiful tonight, a wearing a designer dress that clung to her body but flowed out to the ground. It was a rosey white, with intricate patterns embed into the material that you could hardly catch unless you were close up. And her hair was patiently curled, falling along her shoulders and down her back, courtesy of Faith and her magical skills in hair. 

Xander held his arm around her body, hardly ever letting go unless she were to get a drink. Even as his father explains a story he's been told many, many times, he stood by Ara's side and let his father tell them this story once again. 

"Legend has it, the Luna became jealous. Reminder, this was centuries ago, possibly two whole milennias ago when the Great Luna was still roaming among the earth to care for her creatures. Her beloved children; personally. The Luna loved her werewolves, but the image of the man who could turn into a wolf had drawn her in. People believe that he could have been the father of the Great Queen." Ara was taken back in surprise; all of this as the backstory for a beautiful chandelier. 

"The Chandelier," John continued, using his hands to gesture at the Chandelier, "Was given as a gift to Charlotte's family, the Royal family who holds our bloodline. Though many here believe that we came from Charlotte's older brother, Joseph, as the young maiden had never been impregnated. She had a young life, being speared and killed by an attack by a neighbouring village." 

Ara pursed her lips together in surprise. "Wow," She mumbled, "That's actually quite amazing." Xander on the otherhand, had realise that his father had explain the story more as an information report rather than a story. 

"You never told me this side, father. You just told me how Alessandro was favoured by the Luna and how he had a mate." Xander confronted, his eyebrows furrowing in slight confusion. "Never the possibility she could be the father. . .of the great Queen." Xander didn't even know his father knew about the great Queen and he was surprised.