Chapter 28 - The Body

Why does my life have to be so drama filled? I was raped, fell pregnant, abandoned by my boyfriend, gave birth and welcomed a child into the world as a single mum, told the boy I fancied that I only wanted to be friends, kissed it several times, watched him kiss and flirt with another, finally got with him, had my hotel room broken into by the abusive ex- boyfriend, watched him rape me before running off taking our daughter with him. Everyone needs drama in their life, but not so much that you worry about what the future may hold. If you can't sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there worrying. It's the worry that gets you, not the lack of sleep. But in some situations you can’t intervene like when your parents are pushing towards a divorce or your best friend is dating the guy you fancy. Another is when your most treasured possession has been hurt and you can’t do anything to ease the pain except sit and wait. As much as you want to intervene you can’t, you just need to let God do his thing. But you see God works in mysterious ways. He throws you in at the deep end just to show how strong of weak you are. Your reaction determines your strength. You can go at it at full speed and pull out when the going gets tough or go at it at ease and persevere when the going gets tough. Only the strong keep going no matter how hard things get….

‘Stay with me please Nath?’ I whispered peering in through the clear glass. ‘Of course’ he whispered back, his eyes fixated on the tiny weak body in the incubator behind the screen. ‘I’m not going anywhere’ he added grabbing my hand. ‘You can go in now’ the nurse signalled, emerging from the room, our heads turning to face her in unison. ‘I’m really scared Nath’ I mumbled blinking back the tears. ‘It’s okay, everything will be okay’ he reassured me his face a little pale. Dressed in blue plastic gowns, plastic shoes and rubber gloves we entered through the small glass door.

‘She looks so fragile’ I whispered as he snaked his arms around my waist. Her tiny body was pale, paler than usual and she sported numerous cuts and bruises all over her body.  He remained silent for a while so I knew something was up. ‘Nathan’ I whispered before turning to face him. He cried silent tears as he shook his head. ‘This isn’t right. She shouldn’t be lying there asleep. It should be Joey lying there like that not little Jamie. What did she do to deserve it hey?’ he sobbed. He broke down as I wrapped my arms around him. ‘Sshh Nath, it’s okay’ I sang pulling him into my lap as we sat down by the incubator. ‘I’m sorry, it should be me comforting you not the other way around’ he whispered moving himself around on my lap. ‘Am I hurting you?’ he asked. ‘Not at all. I’m quite comfortable here actually’ I whispered pulling his head into my chest. My top instantly became wet as he cried silent tears into my chest. ‘You’re so calm’ he mumbled. ‘It has really sunk it yet to be honest. It’s just like she’s sleeping. I watch her sleep for hours daily and today seems like no different except this time she’s connected to various different monitors’ I replied stroking his hair as he laid his head on my shoulder. ‘You’re so strong. She’s just been in a car accident and you’re taking it all in your stride. I hardly know her and I’m here bawling my eyes out in front of you. You’re truly amazing’ he smiled. ‘Thanks’ I mouthed wiping the solitary tear cascading down my cheek.

I probably should rewind now. There I was lying in a hospital bed waiting to be check over when the police officer told me what happened. Joey was travelling at high speed down the motorway as he headed for the airport. He failed to stop after the truck in front of him halted. He collided into the rear of the truck, smashing the front into pieces. Joey came out without a mark, Jamie however the very opposite. He hadn’t tied her in properly so as Joey put his foot on the brake, her seat went flying through the windscreen. She’s lucky she made it out alive, but just barely. I didn’t stay to hear the rest of the story, I just rushed through the hospital to find her. They sent doctors after me to return but I refused, Jamie the most important thing in my mind. There she was, lying motionless in the crib, being kept alive but the various beeping machines at her best side.

‘Hey’ the doctor croaked appearing from a black door to the left. ‘How is she?’ I asked sitting up. ‘Would you like to hold her hand?’ he asked avoiding the question I had previously asked. I was afraid to go anywhere near her never mind holding her little hand. ‘Don’t be scared, you’ll do no harm, she’s asleep’ he answered with a little smile. ‘I’ll hold your other hand if you wish’ Nathan offered whispering in my ear. I nodded politely not being able to remove my eyes from the rigid skeleton. Nathan ushered me near her, holding my hand the whole time. I popped my hand slowly through the rubber seal, which led to the crib. Her hand was cold, way colder. ‘Why is she so cold?’ I asked as Nathan rubbed my back calmly. ‘Right now Jamie is in a coma. She can hear but can’t see. The life support machines are the only things keeping her alive right now’ he whispered. ‘Will she survive?’ Nath asked, reading my mind. ‘At the moment, we can’t really tell. The next few hours are critical. She’s so small and feeble that anything can happen. Please, don’t get your hopes up. She may not make it through the night.’ 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AW :( Poor Jamie. 4 comments, 5 votes for a new chapter? 

Comment )

Vote :)

Fan :)

Rachael :D xx