Chapter 1

Ord Radama Marshes, 3,661 years before the battle of Yavin

Sith apprentice Kozul Tain, now called Darth Kul, laid flat down on a hill overlooking the marshes. He glanced to the right at his Neimoidian master, Darth Venge, about to ask a question, when the Sith master gave him a glare that said to be quiet. His bulbous, amphibian red eyes did not need the aid of the force to get his message across clearly to the apprentice. The two Sith waited a few moments, and then could faintly hear the sound of marching in the swamps below. Not long after the marching had started, they could see their enemies approaching. From the south of the marshes came five Jedi followed by ten Republic troopers and five more Jedi coming up the rear. Darth Venge then pointed his pale, bony finger at the center of the Republic force, where a small metallic sphere was rolling into the center of the Republic troopers.

Kozul could hear one of the armored troopers shout, “Thermal detonator!” shortly before the sphere exploded and the troopers were engulfed in flame. He and his master covered their eyes from the blast and let it settle before they removed their hands. When they did, they could see a dark armored being wearing a black cloak standing where the troopers had once had been. Behind the person, came two read and black armored Sith Troopers, each caring a TH-17 blaster rifle. The cloak-wearing person pulled back his hood to reveal a pale and scarred head that belonged to a human male. He was also wearing a breathing apparatus where his mouth would have been, making his breathing sound heavy and mechanic. The man unclipped a silver lightsaber hilt from his belt and walked over to a surviving trooper, who was trying to crawl to a blaster. The man pressed a button on the lightsaber and a blade of crimson laser ignited from it. The crimson blade then slashed through the trooper's back, killing him before he was even in reach of the blaster.

Then, the five Jedi that had been leading the company stepped forward in front of the man, igniting their lightsabers as they did. The five other Jedi that had been in the back, stepped behind the first five and stood back-to-back with them, while also igniting their lightsabers. “Now,” Darth Venge said in a raspy voice at the same time that the man took the first step to face the Jedi. Kozul followed his master in jumping off the hill, igniting his lightsaber in mid-air, and landing directly in front of the other five Jedi in the marshes. Now the battle could begin.

The first move was made by Darth Venge who lunged toward three of Jedi to his right with his lightsaber. No longer focusing on his master anymore, Kozul did a leap in between the two Jedi that he would face. He force pushed the first one off into one of the few trees nearby, and then turned around to battle the next one with his lightsaber. The Jedi he was about to fight was a male Nautolan, a squid-like humanoid, who was wielding a light blue lightsaber. The Nautolan brought his lightsaber blade up, then brought it down towards Kozul’s chest, but was blocked by Kozul’s own lightsaber. The Nautolan tried to strike again, this time at Kozul’s leg, but once again was blocked.

Kozul decided that it was time to lay off the defense and bring out his offense. When the Nautolan’s lightsaber was still pointed down, Kozul brought his up and cut off a couple of its head tentacles. The Jedi then howled in pain and stammered back, giving Kozul enough time to bring his lightsaber up again and slash the Nautolan’s chest. The Jedi then collapsed to the ground, dead. All of the sudden, Kozul could hear a lightsaber hum behind him and turned around to see the other Jedi he had pushed into the tree standing up with lightsaber in hand.

The Jedi then ran towards Kozul, yelling like a madman. Kozul didn’t even lift his lightsaber, all he did was raise his free hand in a grip, but all he could grip was air. The Jedi then began to make choking noises and clutched at its neck. Kozul continued to lift his arm further up and the Jedi also lifted further up in the air. The Jedi started to shake, trying to break free of the force choke, but the only thing it resulted in was releasing the brown hood from the person’s head. After the hood came off, Kozul could see that the person he was torturing was a young and beautiful female human.

He then felt something he had never felt for Jedi before, pity. He felt sorry for the young girl, whose master was probably the Nautolan he had slain. The girl Jedi could feel the force choke release and she dropped to the ground on her knees, still trying to catch her breath. Kozul backed away from the Jedi, trying to pretend that he had never encountered her, when out of now where Darth Venge appeared behind her. Shocked at the sudden appearance of his master, he looked where Darth Venge had been fighting to see that all three Jedi were dead.

“That is not the way of the Sith,” the Sith master said in a disappointed tone to Kozul. Venge then ignited his crimson lightsaber into the back and through the heart of the girl, killing her.

“Forgive me master,” Kozul said, kneeling before him.

“Apologizes are not accepted, only punishment,” Venge told his apprentice, shortly before sending a small blast of force lightning through him. After Kozul had recovered from the lightning, he and his master stood up, and approached the other Sith.

“Venge,”the other Sith said in a disgusted voice. “My part in this operation is done. You and your apprentice can stay here, but I must return to the northern base.”

“Actually Malgus, I have also been requested to go to the northern base. Dark Lady Worr will be sending her apprentice, Darth Quna, to assist mine here,” Venge told Darth Malgus.

Malgus nodded and the two Sith masters walked to Sith speeders that were secretly hidden behind the swamp foliage. Before they left, Venge told Kozul where to meet Darth Quna and what they were to do. Venge then started the speeder then flew off, leaving Kozul alone in the empty swamp with the bodies of the dead Jedi that they had slain.