Chapter 10: Not the End

Crouched in the hedge, David could hear Jenna, somewhere not far to his left. Her breathing was ragged, unsteady. David’s eyes were on his other companion, the lieutenant whose name David still did not know. The military man, his stance low and cautious, was making his way across the open field in front of them. At the far end of the field was a small building – a shed, or, they all hoped, a garage. A garage with a vehicle inside would give them a means to get back to civilization, and to safety.

The lieutenant had now reached the green, wooden door in the side of the small building. There was a small, square window in the door, and, pulling up his sleeve to cover his hand, the man smashed it. The sound seemed to echo across the quiet space, bouncing off the hedges and walls that demarcated the field. The lieutenant knelt, totally still, for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, he stood up, and opened the door. He was gone for thirty seconds. When he returned, he turned to face the hedge where David and Jenna were hiding. He looked around blankly, and David smiled to himself – it seemed they were well-hidden. The lieutenant gestured, waving them forward, and David launched himself into a run. Just behind him, Jenna did the same – he could hear her feet, as well as his own, pounding on the mucky turf. David found himself nearly colliding with the lieutenant, but managed to skid to a stop, panting.

“Well?” Jenna asked, anxiously.

“There’s a tractor,” the solider said, ushering her in. “No trailer or anything, though. It won’t help us bring back the fly spray, but it’s faster than walking.”

David leaned against the wall. His relief was a real, palpable thing, and he seemed like he could no longer keep his feet under him. He was happy.

~*~

Back at Tristan Close, it was made abundantly clear that the failure to obtain the fly spray was a cause for great disappointment. The lieutenant received a rather loud and insulting dressing-down, and refused, thereafter, to speak with David and Jenna. There were, however, plenty of dirty looks.

David was frustrated. He sought out Jenna after dinner. He scowled at her, and she sighed.

“What is it now, David?”

“I’m not happy,” he replied.

“Yes,” Jenna rolled her eyes. “I can see that. But what does that have to do with me?”

“I want to leave.”

“Again, what does this have to do with me, David?”

“I want you to come along – don’t look at me like that! I need you to show me how to get to that island!”

Jenna’s expression showed that she thought David clearly insane. “What island?”

“The one we talked about earlier. Brownlake or whatever.”

“Brownsea? Go west until you get to Poole, then find a boat.”

“Jenna! Be serious,” David pleaded.

“I am being serious. This is stupid, David. We’re safe here, even if they’re not telling us much.”

“They’re not telling us anything. They expect us to dance to their tune, but they’re not giving us any information. For all we know, everything could be perfectly normal just a few hours travel from here, and they’re just not telling us! We’ll never know, stuck here. We’re like sheep, waiting for slaughter.”

Jenna shuddered at the grisly metaphor. “Fine. But we’re bringing Oliver.”

David shrugged. He hadn’t expected Jenna to leave her young charge behind. “Of course. I’ll go get Amy and Chloe, and then we can – “

“You want to leave right now?” Jenna ‘s eyebrows flew up in shock. “It’s already dark!”

“The sooner the better,” David retorted.

Jenna sighed. “Well, okay. But I don’t like it.”

“I know, I know, just hurry, okay?” David insisted.

~*~

Twenty minutes later, a young man, a slightly older woman, two teenage girls, and a small boy were all standing under the flagpost, whispering furiously

“No way!” Chloe protested loudly, “I’m not going to some smelly little rock of an island! There’s food here, and people, and I’m not going. No way.”

Jenna sighed loudly.

“I can’t make you come,” David said, “I know I can’t. But I feel responsible for you – you and Amy, both. And Amy’s coming along, aren’t you, Amy?”

Amy looked from David to Chloe and back again. She hugged her shortwave radio to her chest. “I – I –,” she stuttered.

Chloe rolled her eyes, “Don’t be such a loser, Amy. David ‘n’ Jenna are okay, but this is better. This is like being at boarding school or something. We can do what we want, and they feed us, and we’re safe. Also,” she looked Amy up and down, “There are boys.”

Amy blushed immediately. “Yes, but –“

“You know I’m right,” Chloe’s response was smug.

Amy looked around uncertainly. When her eyes skimmed over Oliver, the little boy burst into tears. Jenna picked him up, saying soothing things.

“See, girls? Even Oliver wants you to come with us,” David pleaded.

Amy sniffed, then, her voice hoarse, said, “I’m sorry Chloe. I’m sorry. But I – I have to go!”

Chloe glared at Amy. “Fine, but if you come back, you and me, we aren’t friends. That’s it! You’re cut off!”

Now it was Amy’s turn to burst into tears. David put an arm around the young girl’s shoulder, and led her away.

Chloe stood alone, and watched the others disappear into the darkness.

Note: Instructions in this round were the journey to your new location must begin . . . but . . . your characters find themselves separated. As usual, full instructions may be found at the external link!