Is Love A Curse?

Interview with Rebecca Sky 

1) Tell us something about yourself.

I’ve been to 22 countries and I still feel untraveled.

2) What inspired you to write?

I have an overactive imagination and writing is the only thing that makes it seem useful.

3) You have wattpad blog. What made you decide on having a blog here and how was readers response towards it?

I decided to have a wattblog because I spend so much time on wattpad and prefer it over blogger or twitter or facebook. Wattpad is literally my virtual home, so blogging from wattpad seemed like a perfect fit. Plus all my favorite readers are on wattpad. The blog is doing pretty good. I feel like I have a much better response to it on wattpad than if I had it on blogger. Plus on wattpad I don’t feel the need to spam people with messages every time I update a blog post. So that’s a win!

4) You have a great collection of novels to your credit. Which one is most closest to your heart and why?

This is a tough question. I would say the book I am working on now. (A LIFETIME ACCORDING TO KARMA ROSE). It’s a clockpunk fantasy. I’ve spent 2 years on it, It’s the longest I’ve ever worked on one story. Hopefully I’ll be able to share it with y’all soon.

5) One character you really got personally involved writing about and why?

I had a hard time writing Rachel from the Love Curse, because she is surrounded by abusive/manipulative people and she does everything she can to make them happy. This hit a little too close to home for me. I’ve had a few of those relationships in my life.

6) "I can't kiss the boy I love. If I kiss him I'll lose him forever." It's so contrary to the fairy tale theme which holds the view that first love kiss can do miracles. What made you write about a completely different thought? or rather Why Rebecca is different?

I find that too many books focus only on the physical. I wanted to explore a romance if the pairing thought they could never be intimate. How would that be different? Could you love someone with only mind and soul? Though I have to admit, there may be a pretty epic kiss.

7) How do you develop your plot? Do you outline? If so, to what extent? How much is a surprise to you as you go?

This is different for every book. Usually though I have a rough outline and I stick loosely to it, depending on what the characters let me do. I try my best to make characters that would respond to a situation true to themselves, not how I need them to just so I can move the story forward.

8) Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Sure! Here is an excerpt from A Lifetime According to Karma Rose:

My body tips side to side, a slow rock in and out of consciousness. Every once in awhile I inhale the sharp vinegary scent of death.

I picture my family standing around an open grave in the backyard. Dad closing his eyes and chanting a Hindu prayer. When he’s done, Mom pours in a bucket of animal innards from her latest taxidermy project, and we watch as shovels of brown dirt are thrown over the rotting body parts.