Chapter 1

***Note from annamaria -- If you like what you read please go to Kindle Scout http://bit.ly/1EOpiVf and vote for my novel -- thank you.

***Note if you vote and it gets published you'll receive a free copy. 

Kendíka dried her still flowing tears and, as quietly as possible, blew her runny nose. The woman at the pulpit sang Schubert’s Ave Maria, one of her mother’s favorites, as the crowd walked past the two caskets to say their last good-byes. How can they both be gone? She hiccupped, unable to stop crying. Mr. Vetrano, the family lawyer, squeezed her shoulder.

At the end of the service, with all the dignitaries who had come to pay their last respects to the ambassador and his wife, Kendíka accompanied the caskets to the cemetery where a big hole awaited. Shaking in the damp air, she stared at the deep darkness. At least it had stopped raining.

She leaned on Vetrano’s arm, shifting her weight from foot to foot, fighting the fatigue taking over her body. Her shallow breaths weren’t enough to fill her lungs. Her heart constricted.

Before the dignitaries could approach her to extend their condolences, Mr. Vetrano wrapped a protective arm around her shoulders, guiding her to the limousine.

After a few minutes of silence, Kendíka turned to him. “Why do I need to go with anyone?” she said. “My parents left me a beautiful home with plenty of money. Why can’t we just hire a housekeeper to take care of the house and me until I turn eighteen?”

He drew in a breath. “I’ve explained everything to you already. First and for most, you’re a minor. Next, your parents stated in their will you are to live with your father’s cousin.”

“I don’t even—” She hiccupped. “Know these people.”

He took out a little pillbox. “You are quite distraught, my dear.” Opening it, he took out a little white pill and gave it to her. The drug settled her grief, fogging her mind, and the nausea from lack of sleep no longer taunted her.

***

Startled by the lack of movement, Kendíka sat up in bed, scanning the moonlit room. Perspiration beaded her forehead while her heart pounded against her ribs. The last thing she remembered was sitting in the limousine next to Mr. Vetrano, arguing about her future. He insisted the will mandated her future, not him. Did the pill knock her out? How dare he drug me!

She blinked and, holding her breath, glanced around the unfamiliar room. When her lungsscreamed for air, she exhaled then took another deep inhale. What the hell? What happened to the limousine?

Butterflies unsettled her stomach. Her back stiffened. Her heart drummed. Oh, my God! When did I get out of the car or come to this room? Why would Mr. Vetrano bring me to such a freaky place? Fear and the thought of her parents’ death brought fresh tears to her eyes.

She slid out of bed and shuffled her bare feet along the stone floor, hands held out to make sure she didn’t bump into anything.

At the opposite end of the room, she could make out a dark blob, which she hoped might be the door. Somewhere along the wall near it, she would find a light switch. She advanced slowly, making sure not to stub her toes. Her fingertips ran along the smooth wood. The handle felt cold. She pulled on the knob, but it didn’t budge. Strange! Her heart missed a beat. Why is the door locked?

With all her strength, she pounded on the door. “Mr. Vetrano?” She paused. “Is anyone out there?” She beat her fists on it a few more times, but when no one came to investigate the commotion, she slid to the floor and buried her face in her hands. Think, girl, think. Standing again, she moved her hands along the smooth walls at the edge of the molding, feeling for a light switch. Why can’t I find it? She tried again...nothing but wall. Why is no one coming?