Chapter 1: Monday, October 7th at 5:17pm

APRIL’S POINT OF VIEW

“This is not a joke, April. Why are you laughing?”

“I’m not,” I replied, trying to stifle my laughter.

“Yes, you are, and it is not funny. I am telling you, she bit me, OK? Why doesn’t anyone believe me?” Jess groaned as I got out of my car.

“Because she doesn’t have any teeth, Jess. She’s not even two weeks old.”

“It doesn’t matter if she was one day old, she’s Anthony’s daughter. Does it surprise you that she bit me? Really?”

“No, no of course not,” I said, humoring her.

“You know, I can’t wait until you and Aiden have a baby and you get bitten while trying to do something as courageous as breast feeding. Let’s hope someone actually believes you,” Jess declared. As I giggled to myself, I happened to look up at my front door, and suddenly the smile on my face vanished.

“Great,” I mumbled.

“What’s up?” Jess asked.

“Leah is sitting outside of my house.” I could not believe she had the nerve.

“You have got to be kidding me.”

“I wish. Look, Jess, I’m going to have to go,” I said.

“OK, call me later, and don’t forget.”

“I won’t.” I ended my call with Jess and walked toward Leah. “What are you doing here?” I asked, softly.

“I know you probably don’t want to see me, but I need to talk to you.”

“No, Leah, I’ve done all the talking I can,” I said as we both stood outside my house. The lights were off so I knew Aiden wasn’t home, which meant I had just wasted my time.

“April, please. I’m trying to make things right here….”

“Things were right before you spent the night in a motel with my fiancé. I tried to be nice to you despite my friends’ warnings, but they were right.”

“I know, I’m sorry,” she said sadly.

“Fine. Now I think you should leave,” I breathed.

“OK,” she whispered.

“Good,” I said, standing there awkwardly.

“I guess I had better get going then,” she said, bouncing slightly on her feet.

“Yeah, I guess so,” I replied, guiltily.

“Bye, April.”

“Bye, Leah,” I said and then she walked by me. It was not that I wanted to be cruel, but things were getting complicated between Leah, Aiden, and me, and I wasn’t even sure what was happening anymore. She had been great in helping Aiden out, but there was something else going on with her, and until that was sorted out, we needed space.

“Oh, April?” she said. I spun around and faced her.

“Yeah?” I asked.

“I forgot to tell you that you don’t make the rules. I do.” By the time I saw the baseball bat in Leah’s hand, it was too late, and everything melted into darkness.