Chapter 16

Can my American readers please read the Author's note? I need your help with something!

---

Chapter Sixteen

Maggie decided to go off to visit some children that she’d met before leaving Max alone on the porch.

It was on a day like today that he did dearly miss his family. He did not at all regret journeying to America with Maggie but the trip had only solidified his belief that England was his home. He did look forward to when they would return. He looked forward to seeing his father, Rose and sisters. He looked forward to being in his familiar surroundings and going about his day as usual. He did want to make more of his life though. It had been a very recent decision. He would use his Uncle Emmett’s connections to secure an artist’s apprenticeship at the Royal Court. He wanted to paint official portraits and bring in an income. He couldn’t spend his days doodling away waiting for his father to entrust him with the running of the hotel empire. Truth be told, Rebecca would do a better job at that. She was more academic than Max was.

“Good afternoon, Mr Montgomery.”

That slick voice that Max had grown to resent interrupted his thoughts. He looked up to see Zachary standing before him with his hands behind his back. He flashed him a confident smile.

“Good afternoon, Mr Kincaid,” mumbled Max in reply. He was disinterested in listening to whatever suave boasting Zachary had come to him for. He was not as easily charmed as women were, though he was glad Maggie had confessed that she did not intend to pursue the romance any further. That was a great comfort to him.

“Do you mind if I sit down?” he asked politely, gesturing to the vacant seat beside Max.

Yes, Max thought bitterly. “No,” he reluctantly replied.

Zachary sat down and sighed, looking out onto the sculpted gardens. “You and Miss Maggie are very close.” It was not a question, merely an observation.

What was it with this family and their need to question his friendship with Maggie? It was almost as if they’d never seen gender opposite friends before. “Yes,” he muttered.

“I do hope you understand that this closeness will have to stop very soon,” he continued, not looking at Max.

Max furrowed his brows and turned to look at him. “I beg your pardon.”

“I won’t have any woman of mine spending time with other men, Mr Montgomery. That would reflect poorly on me and I don’t like my belongings wandering away from me, you see.” His tone was as smooth as silk, as if he were casually discussing the changing weather.

“That would imply that Maggie is your possession, Mr Kincaid, which she clearly is not,” Max replied icily.

“Well, you mustn’t have heard the news,” he remarked. “Miss Maggie and I came to an understanding while we were playing town ball. A courtship will soon commence and not long after, a wedding.”

Max scoffed, knowing this to be a lie. “Maggie is not interested in pursuing anything with you,” he snapped, “so I suggest that you leave her alone. Go and find another heiress for you are wasting your time with mine.” Max internally chided himself. He could not get carried away. Joanna already had deduced his feelings for Maggie, he did not want Zachary to join in!

Zachary’s lips upturned into a wicked smile. “Yours?” He chuckled. “I don’t think so.” He rose from the porch swing and combed his dark hair with his fingers. “I’ve never failed at charming a young woman into bed, Mr Montgomery, so I doubt I’ll fail with this one. Even if she is a little reluctant to come down to the church, she won’t have a choice once she’s realised she’s ruined without a wedding.”