Chapter Four

After breathing the same canned air for almost nine hours, I decided that flying to London was the worst idea ever. The armrest dug into my flesh, and a crying baby from a few rows behind me was giving me a headache. But no matter how tired the trip made feel, I still wasn't ready for the plane to land. I was scared of what would happen when I stepped out. My mother would be waiting for me outside.

To be honest, I didn't think I'd see her again. She never showed any intention of coming back to the States and that hurt. It felt as if being a mother wasn't important for her. I clenched my jaw. You can't give up your family like that.

Closing cycles, my ass. I had no idea what I was supposed to say to her. It would be rude to greet her with asking why she had cut ties with me, but it was all I wanted to ask.

The captain's voice boomed over the loudspeaker, announcing that we were about to land, and nausea rolled in. I didn't want to leave the plane, so I took my time to step out. I stalled through customs and baggage claim. I retrieved my suitcase and as I dragged it, an image of Hugh and Chris played in my mind. If they were in front of me, I would have slapped them both for talking me into this.

With a heavy heart, I stared at the automated glass exit doors, completely frozen in place. I took a deep breath and straightening my blouse, I walked past the door and into London officially. There were diverse signs from the ceilings directing passengers to different areas of the airport. Names were being called over the intercom in the background while I tried not to feel intimidated by overhearing conversations in foreign languages or in posh British accent.

Despite everything, I couldn't believe that I really went through with this. I was about to meet my mother after what felt like a lifetime.

My heart drummed inside my chest as I spotted her. She stood in between a mass of people passing through the airport with their luggage. Mesmerized, I gazed at her. It had been so long since I'd last seen her, and my eyes prickled with tears. Gosh, I missed her, so much, but her indifference had cut me deep. A shaky breath left my lips as I blinked the tears away. I didn't want to cry. Especially not in front of her.

She was still pretty, as always. There were some grey hairs on her head, but overall, she looked the same—lean and effortlessly beautiful. My birthday wish up to my sixteenth birthday was to look like her, but it was impossible. We were too different in appearance. Her hair wasn't black and straight like mine, it was curly and auburn. Her skin was lighter than mine, too, whereas I had inherited my Latin American father's natural tan. The only traits I got from Mom were her lack of fashion sense, her determination, and green eyes.

Her lips parted as she gazed at me, probably as surprised and scared as I was to meet her again.

"Emily." She stepped closer. I noticed the wrinkles around her eyes and the dark circles beneath them. My chest tightened. Was she okay? She offered me a teary smile and her hand trembled as she extended it to me. "How are you?"

A hollow feeling settled in the pit of my stomach as I viewed her hand. She was greeting me in the same manner she might greet a stranger. Is that what I was to her now—a stranger?

"Hi," I said slowly, not ready to shake her hand. "Have you been waiting long?" I kind of wanted to slap myself for the lame question but my mind blanked. I didn't know what to say.

Her eyebrows drew together before she lowered her hand. "Not too long."

We stood in silence, unsure of how to act as a couple passed by. My chest hurt, as if someone was pushing harder into it with every heartbeat. After all this time, she still treated me with indifference. Heat flashed through my body, and my shoulders tensed. Maybe she didn't deserve to see how much her absence had affected me.