Chapter 31

No! She screamed in her mind as she saw her nightmare come to life. It knocked her off and she struggled to get up. Pero malakas iyon at hindi niya kayang labanan. Pilit siya niyong inilulublob sa tubig at hindi na siya halos makahinga.

"Diadem..." Naramdaman niyang may umalog sa kanyang mga balikat. "Wake up!"

Bigla siyang nagmulat ng mga mata. Ang puting kisame ang bumungad sa kanyang paningin. Then, she saw Rohan's face. He looked worried as he held her shoulders. "Rohan!" Ganoon na lamang ang sayang naramdaman niya nang makita ito. Para siyang nakakita ng kakampi. She clung to him as her body shook in fear.

"Hussshhh..." He ran his hand at her back, pacifying her. "It's okay, Diadem. You're safe now."

Napanatag naman ang kanyang kalooban. She was just so thankful that Rohan was here to sympathize with her. Maya-maya pa ay kalmado na siya habang nakahiga sa kama. Inilibot niya ang paningin sa paligid. Noon niya napansin ang dextrose sa kanyang kaliwang kamay. She was in a hospital bed. "Anong nangyari?" she asked Rohan who was just eyeing her. Nakaupo ito sa tabi ng kanyang kama.

"You passed out a while ago. You've been unconscious for four hours. Roshelle rushed you to the hospital. Then, she called me up to tell me what had happened to you."

Napapikit siya nang mariin nang maalala ang nangyari kanina. Vince already got what he wanted. She lost the chairmanship of GOC to him. It was like doomsday already. Muli na namang lumakas ang pagtibok ng kanyang puso. It was beating so rapid that she felt exhausted. Hindi niya kayang isipin kung ano na ang mangyayari sa GOC ngayong nasa pamamahala na iyon ni Vince. Of course, she was still a part of it. Bilang isang miron habang pinapabagsak nito ang pinaghirapan niya at ng kanyang mga ninuno.

"Diadem... are you okay?" si Rohan na mahigpit na hinawakan ang isa niyang kamay.

Napahawak siya sa dibdib. Nahihirapan na naman siyang huminga.

"Hey!" worried na wika ni Rohan at tinulungan siyang haplusin ang kanyang dibdib. "Breathe deeply and stay calm. Just stay calm." She tried her best to follow him. "You've got something serious going on with your health, Diadem," worried na komento nito.

"I'll be fine, Rohan. Thanks a lot for being here." Nginitian niya ang lalaki.

He just cocked his head and squeezed her hand. "I had the doctors checked you earlier. I had requested a cardiologist to come over and see you. He'll be back in a few minutes."

"Salamat talaga, Rohan." Buti na lamang at nandito ito upang damayan siya.

"Stop thinking about GOC, Diadem," maya-maya ay seryosong wika nito. "I heard about what happened. Don't worry, you'll get the chairmanship back. We'll inject billions in your company to boost your shares. Nakausap ko na si Papa. He will give me the money I needed. I'm getting my inheritance from him."

It was indeed a good news. But she just sighed. Ang hidwaan sa pagitan nila ni Vince ay lumalala sa paglipas ng mga araw. May ibang tao na ring nadadamay. Sure, Rohan could help her get the chairmanship back, but she was damned sure that Vince wouldn't just sit and watch. He would surely retaliate and use his goddamned money to not just destroy her but Rohan as well. The man was very liquid. Even if he would spend a few billion dollars, he would still survive. Unlike them. Rohan would be betting all that he had. What if they would lose? Billions would go down the drain for sure. Such a waste of money for a rift that had been going on for a decade. It must be stopped. And she was the only one who could put a halt to it. She had to ditch her pride and make truce with Vince. If she had to kneel so he could forgive her, she would do that. She had been evil, too, when she had the chance. Now it was Vince's time to show her the claws of her past. She would exchange her bloody pride for an agreement with Vince - that he wouldn't let the company go bankrupt. Bahala na kahit ito pa ang maging Chairman of the Board forever. Basta huwag lang malulugi ang kumpanya. Ikamamatay niya iyon. The door creaked open. Napatingin sila sa pintuan ni Rohan. Pumasok ang nakangiting lalaking nakasuot ng puti. A stethoscope hung around his neck like a necklace.

"Hello, Dr. Carriego," bati ni Rohan dito.

"Hi, Mr. Tantuco," sagot nito kay Rohan. "How are you, Ms. Elizalde?" baling nito sa kanya.

She smiled at the doctor. "I'm fine, doc." Sinubukan niyang umupo sa hospital bed.

"Kamusta ang kalagayan ni Diadem, doc?" si Rohan. "What did you find out?"

"I'll have to ask the patient yet some few questions, Mr. Tantuco," sagot nito sa lalaki.

Lumapit ito sa kanya. The doctor used his stethoscope to check her heartbeat. Tahimik lamang si Diadem.

"What do you feel now, Ms. Elizalde?" tanong ng doktor sa kanya.

"Okay lang naman ako, doc." She tried to shrug.

"Did you have a congenital heart disease when you're young?"

Napamaang siya. Wala siyang maalala. Her parents never told her anything about her health condition. She believed that she was healthy. Isa pa, lately lamang siya nakakaramdam nang paninikip ng dibdib. Hindi naman niya nararanasan iyon noon.

She shook her head. "Wala, doc."

Mataman siyang tinitigan ng doctor. "I'm sorry, but I checked you a while ago when you're still unconscious. I saw a very faint scar in your chest. It's almost invisible to the eyes, but I won't miss it. It's usually a scar due to a heart operation, Ms. Elizalde."

Napakapit siya sa kanyang dibdib. She looked at her chest that was covered with a hospital gown. She had a scar there? Baka nagkakamali lang ang doktor na ito. She never had an operation all her life. Wala siyang problema sa puso. Stressed lang siya. As in sobrang stressed! "What do you mean?" she asked in confusion.

"You could have a heart surgery when you're young. Maybe around one to two years old. But I'm not so sure though. Unless we ran some series of clinical tests. For now, we see anomalies in your heart, Ms. Elizalde. My diagnosis is not yet certain though. I'll let you undergo clinical and laboratory tests to further assess your condition. Then, we can give you a clear diagnosis."

Napakapit siya nang mahigpit sa kamay ni Rohan. Hindi siya makapaniwala sa narinig mula sa doktor.

"Do what is needed to do, doc," si Rohan.

"For now, you have to avoid anything that could give you stress, Ms. Elizalde," pagpapatuloy ng doktor.

"I know I'm stressed lately, doc, and exhausted, too. I'm having a difficult time in my life. Maybe that's the only reason why I'm feeling strain in my heart." She really couldn't digest that she might have a heart problem. Dapat ay noon pa iyon nag-manifest. Hindi ngayon lang.

"Stress can trigger a heart problem to resurface if you have any before, Ms. Elizalde. Maybe some tissues were torn from the healed wound and a hole was formed. I am not really sure yet, Ms. Elizalde. This is just a theory for now and an assumption. Like what I said, a final diagnosis will be given after we run series of tests."

Nalulon niya yata ang kanyang dila. Hindi na siya nakapagsalita pa. She could only shake her head. May sakit siya sa puso? Bakit hindi niya alam? How could that be possible? Pero sabi nga ng doktor, hindi pa ito sure. Kailangan pa siyang suriin nang mabuti. Pero papaano kung tama ang doktor?