Chapter Twenty-Four

Gabriel's POV:

I was scanning over paperwork that a pack member had asked me to review, he had proposed a business deal and wanted to know if I would be interested in investing. My mind could barely focus, I had been working for the past seven hours straight with no break.

It was then that my office door creaked open, Kennedy wrapped tightly in a blanket as she walked towards me, I lifted her up, sitting her down on my lap, her body leaning against mine as she laid her head on my chest. "Not tired baby?"

"No, I don't want to sleep anymore." She replied, her eyes looking down at the mess that occupied my desk.

"Want to colour for a little while? I have a few things I need to finish and then we'll watch a movie?" I suggested, already grabbing some plain paper from the drawer along with some coloured pens.

Kennedy nodded excitedly, moving from my lap and running towards the couch, pens and paper in hand. She stayed there for a while, silently colouring as I continued to work.

My phoned buzzed and I quickly replied to all the unread messages, they had piled up over the last few days.

I had been ignoring the piles of work, text messages and phone calls that I needed to make, I wanted to spend time with my mate and daughter which was why it had managed to build up so much.

I had also noticed that we were having more rogue captures lately, they had been attempting to cross our borders but were stopped by border patrol wolves before they could get too far in.

A few had managed to escape but tractors had caught onto their scent and would remember it if they tried again.

It was beginning to worry me, the safety of my pack and territory were paramount. I couldn't ignore the threat that the young rogue had mentioned that a rogue Alpha had made it his mission to destroy all packs, with mine being next.

I had arranged more border patrols, and as long as my pack members stayed within a few miles of the border they would be safe to roam freely. They could continue their daily runs.

The leader of the rogue pack Marcus had his mate killed by an Alpha, he had sworn after the discovery of his mate's attack that he would take revenge against all Alphas, wanting them to feel the pain and anguish that he felt.

He had been with his mate for over five years and she was over two months pregnant.

When your soul mate dies, half of your soul dies. They shared a part of you, that would never be replaced by someone else. The loss of a mate was the most excruciating thing that a werewolf could go through. Some turn to madness while others manage to control their beast, having to hide them away, to never be let out. Only the strongest of wolves could find peace within themselves after losing their mate.

I wasn't about to allow him to do that to me and my family, to my pack. I had organised more patrols and more training, even wolves who hadn't shifted yet were learning more combat, to be able to protect themselves.

I was just looking through my plans for another extension on the pack house when Kennedy got up from the couch and approached me, a scrunched-up paper in her hand. She held her hand out for me to take it, a large smile on her face as I grabbed it to look at her drawing.

When my eyes roamed the paper, I wanted to pull my hair out. Kennedy had somehow managed to colour in a multi-coloured wolf on some important pack paperwork which had taken me two hours to complete. This unfortunately needed to be sent to a neighbouring pack tomorrow morning.

Because I didn't say anything about her drawing and instead smacked my hands on my face, sighing deeply. Tears had sprung in her deep blue eyes, thinking I didn't like the picture she had drawn for me.