Soulmate Countdown

The timer on wrist had signaled it's countdown.  There's only minute left now. I couldn't decide if I should run or stand still. Panic echoed in my chest, my breathing ran rapid, my palms sweating, and I was on the verge of tears from anxiety. Could I put it off just a little bit longer, or would that cause me to run right into him? I took a deep breath, hoping to relax yet failing. I knew my choice, which ever I made, would led me straight to him. It was fate, it was meant to happen. I had waited for years for this, but now, I wish I could put it off a little longer.

The timer counted down until the moment I was meant to meet my soulmate. Today was the day, at least according to my timer. It had been counting down to the exact second I would meet him, the love of my life and my soulmate, since I was born. I was growing more nervous as the seconds ticked by, I was pacing in the park, unable to decide what to do. Whatever I did, I was going to meet him and there was no way around it.  Unless mine malfunctioned. Could mine be one them? I had read stories of people's who's timers malfunctioned. Who never met their love because the timer ran out and no one met them. 

Oh god what if that's me?

It couldn't be. I had to believe in that. I needed to believe that it would work at least. The timers had been invented to make love easier. There would be no more pain of a break up, not more cheating from wondering what could be, and there would no longer be tears of what was lost. Your first love, was your only love, your soulmate, your perfect match. That was it.

I had been so excited for the day when I got to meet him. I had dreamed about it as a little girl, but right now I was so nervous I could get sick. What would happen when we saw each other? Would we instantly fall in love like in the movies, or would one of us be disappointed? Would I fall for him instantly or would I grow to love him? We were supposed to be together forever, but what if the program really failed?Could it fail?  I asked myself as I glanced at my timer.

Ten seconds left. There was no running now. Where could I go in ten seconds? I sat on the park bench, fatigued from my panic, and glanced through the couples at the park. I didn't see anyone who was alone, but with five seconds to go I would find out soon. I glanced around nervously as a runner stopped to tie his shoe, the vibrant orange color of his Nike sneakers caught my attention until his eyes met mine and the chime of my timer went off in sync with his.

He flashed me a perfectly straight smile before getting off the ground and slowly made his way toward me. I swept my long brown bangs out of my eyes, following his motion as he pushed back his black hair out of his face, opening up my view to the man in front of me. His green eyes pierced into mine as he asked if the seat next to me was open.

I nodded, scooting over to let him sit. The smell of vanilla wafted over her as he sat down, holding his hand out to me. Gripping his large hand, I couldn't control the blush that swept across my cheeks.

"I'm Daine DuPont," he said, speaking in a heavy french accent. It was so thick that I had a hard time deciphering what he had said, that and the accent swept me off my feet and sent my heart into a flutter.

"Avery. Avery Winters," I responded slowly, my hand still gripped tightly in his.

Daine gave me a sultry smile before bowing his head and gently pressing his lips to the back of my hand. Afterwards, he let her hand go, saying, "It is a pleasure to meet you Ms. Winters." His dark hair was shaggy yet seemed to have some sort of messy style to it. My eyes travelled from his strong jawline to the light stubble along his chin, and back up to his piercing green eyes.

"It's nice to meet you too, Daine."

With those words, we turned to the look at the festivities in the park as our fingers intertwined. I couldn't resist peeking over at the handsome french man who sat next to me. His powerful scent was a constant reminder of his presence, and just being so close to such an attractive man was making my heart thud uncontrollably. When his arm brushed against mind gently, my thoughts began to churn endlessly at the life they would share together.

One where my heart and soul had found their perfect match.