My Brother: Cupid Ch. 1

If it wasn't bad enough that it was my first day at a new school, it was harder knowing that if I wasn't careful my brother would shoot an arrow at me. This arrow is full of a bunch of dumb love magic. He claims its his "first day at school gift." But there is nothing more annoying then having a huge crush that isn't even real.  

I had avoided him so far, and as far as I was concerned he was still asleep. Then I heard a "Hey Todd," from behind me.  

"Don't you dare!" I said turning around as quick as possible. He stood there with his bow on his side. "Look Chase, remember how we had to move because I loved Rebecah, Halie, Lizzie, Emily, Veronica, and Raquel. Let's not start this again."  

"You're absolutely right," he said, but while saying "right" he hit me.  

"Chase!" I exclaimed though it didn't hurt.  

"Hey, that's what brothers do, right? They tease," he said running away from me.  

"I don't know a lot of guys who brother is Cupid." I caught him and put him in a head lock. For even though he's my older brother he's a wimp. Truth was I could see the pain that I was causing him. "Take it off! Take it off! Take it off!" I yelled.  

"Let me go," he choked.  

"Will you take it off?" I asked.  

"No, it's a joke."  

"Take it off!"  

"Let me go!"  

"I'll let you go if you take it off," I said.  

"Your shoe's untied," he said.  

I looked down, it was untied. But when I looked down I loosened my grip and he got away. I growled. "You'll pay for this Chase."  

I chased him down and started looking for him. When I couldn't find him and I had ran out of time, I went to school. You may think this is a stupid idea, going to school when you have all sorts of dumb love magic on you, and I used to think that too. But after getting hit with the arrow so many times and realizing that sooner or later you're going to have to fall in love you learn that you just have to live with it.  

The way I figured it, was as long as I didn't look into any girl's eyes I wouldn't fall in love. I've done this before and it's worked. And even if I did fall in love I would just make my brother pull the spell off of me as soon as I got home. This has happened before too.  

So I focused on the ground as I walked to school. When I got there, I checked in the office and focused on the lady's hands. So far it was going pretty well.  

I stepped into the halls and went to look for my first class. I stared high at the walls, well above eye level. If I did see eyes they were in my peripheral vision and that didn't count. I shuffled through the masses of people avoiding them.  

Then I hit her. I mean I physically hit her. We both landed on the floor with a thud and her stuff went flying everywhere. I went to go help her pick it up, but when I gave it to her I made eye contact. Big mistake.  

I could feel the sparks flying like I had many times before. I knew they weren't real but still felt my lips open and one simple sentence flew out, "You're really pretty, I'm glad I ran into you."  

She looked shocked. Then she looked confused. Then a few kids who had over heard started snickering. She looked at me and said, "Um, thanks."  

"No problem, beautiful. Anytime. I would do anything for a look into those eyes," I said trying my hardest not to say anything.  

"A little creepy," she mumbled and quickly walked away into the audience of snickers. I could hear people whispering about me, mocking me, and laughing at me.  

"Chase better start counting his days," I growled. Then I left to hurry to my class.  

I immediately regretted this, because she was in my first class. I had to sit by her, force of the arrow. She turned away, hoping I wouldn't talk to her. But of course I did. I said, "What's your name?"  

She frowned at me but said, "Haley."  

"I'm Todd," I said.  

"Um, okay." And then she moved away.