Unexpected Ransom

I do not own Sherlock (although I wish I did)....or John. or any of the Sherlock co.  I do own Veronika. 

Enjoy :) xx

221B BAKER STREET 11.48 AM

“John...John, did you move the head? It was in the fridge last time I saw it. I’m sure of it.” The dark-haired, blue-eyed, sociopath with the name Sherlock glared at his friend Dr. John Watson. Dr. Watson and Mr. Holmes worked together on every case they had. See, Sherlock was the world’s only consulting detective. Our detective was a bit ticked off. He had stored a human head in the refrigerator for a reason and obviously John just didn’t understand because apparently he moved it somewhere else. “I moved it! I couldn’t stand seeing it near my food...not that we ever have much food in the fridge but...it’s in the mini fridge in the bathroom.” That would do Sherlock no good as the miniature fridge circulates cold air in a tighter space and therefore artificially quickens the coagulation of saliva. No, no, Mr. Holmes needed to see it in the correct timeline. Sherlock slammed the refrigerator door shut and ran to the bathroom. When he got there he flung the small door open and retrieved the head. He could hardly hold it as it was on the verge of freezing. As he found his way back to the kitchen he shouted. “John! I told you not to move it! Now it’s all messed up and...” He sighed and stuffed the head back in the tall refrigerator.

John heard the front door lock click. He wasn’t worried as they knew exactly who it was. Veronika DeBreaux. A tall woman in her mid-thirties. She had long auburn hair and green eyes. She had worked with John and Sherlock many times before. They claimed she was just a friend but both men had slight feelings for her. John more so than Sherlock. However, Veronika had no interest in a relationship with John...She didn’t show it very much as he wouldn’t understand but she had loved Sherlock for a while. His hair, those blue eyes, and the intellect. The amazing brain that man had was...the sexiest thing Veronika thought a man should have.

“Honeys, I’m hooome!” Her melodious voice carried up the stairs and through the open door to Sherlock and John’s flat. John smiled and got up off of the couch. He laid the newspaper on the table and went to the flat door. Veronika had been gone for three weeks on a trip to India. It was a leisurely trip. Just to relax and take a break from cases.

“Good morning, Veronika! We’ve missed you.” John held out his hand for her to take and she did. Leading her into the room, John asked, “How was it? You seem like you’ve gotten a tan.” Sherlock was still observing the head. He looked back and was caught by surprise when he saw Veronika. “Hello.” He said with a quick smile. He then went back to sit at the table where he was reading some papers. Veronika smiled back at him and then turned her attention back to John. “It was brilliant. It was great,” She dug her hand into her carry-on bag and pulled one small bag and one fairly large one.

“It wasn’t brilliant. You’re lying.” Sherlock sitll had his nose in a few papers but he could still see right through Veronika.

“W-what? I...-”

“You’re lying. It’s obvious. Your foot. It’s fidgeting. Your hands. You’re picking at your nails. Also, you spoke much faster than I remember."

Obviously defeated she looked at the floor. “Ok...I got arrested! Just some fighting...I was bailed out though. By some guy I met. It’s not on my record...”

Sherlock looked up at her and raised his eyebrows.

“Alright, it is on my record but...I still have my job! So it’s ok.”’

Sherlock looked back at his papers.

Veronika gave one bag to John and laid one on Sherlock’s table. “Presents.” She said with a smile. John opened his bag and took out a small elephant carved from wood and a mini Taj Mahal to put on a desk. “These are beautiful...” John said quietly. “Thank you!”

Veronika smiled. “You’re very welcome, Dr. Watson!”

The blue-eyed detective looked up at Veronika and she pointed to his bag. “That one is for you.”

He carefully opened to reveal his own elephant and a large book. It was old and yellowed. It was titled ‘A Guide to a Perfect Murder’. A small smile grew on his lips.

“I saw it and I thought you’d love it! It’s very old and...strange. I started reading it on the plane back.” Veronika stood silently as Sherlock moved the book back and forth in his hands. He looked at the spine and traced it with his finger. “it’s great...thank you...for thinking of me.” He quickly got up and hugged Veronika. Yes, it was a bit awkward but enjoyable nonetheless. John glared at them and decided it was time for them to break the hug.

“Alright! New case, Sherlock. It’s Angelo again. He’s been arrested for murder. This time, however, I do believe it was him.”

Sherlock and Veronika pulled apart.

Veronika smiled wide and threw on her coat. “Brilliant. I’ve had three weeks without a case and I’m truly beginning to get bored...you two know what happens when I get bored.” She winked at Sherlock and patted Watson’s shoulder.

The stairs creaked as she walked down. “Well, are you two coming or what?!” The dark-haired detective and ash-blond doctor made a mad dash to get their coats (Sherlock obviously didn’t forget his scarf) and they were off.

Their first case with Veronika in over a month. They both had missed her. One more than the other. The love triangle was complicated but the case was more important. John shook his head to get rid of any evil thoughts towards Sherlock as he walked out the door. He just didn’t want him to hurt her as he had done to many other people. Not that Veronika couldn’t handle it because she most certainly could. This was no secret. She had slapped Donovan plenty of times when he wouldn’t tell her what she wanted to know. Charming.