Chapter 36

I hesitated.

“Sit.” Darius repeated as he motioned to the couch across from him. “We mean no harm.”

“Where’s Constantine?”

None of them answered my question. Instead, Darius looked at those who accompanied me with cold, blank eyes.

“We wish to speak to Mariam alone. The rest of you have no use to us.”

My dad stepped forward and gripped my hand harder. “Did you seriously expect me to let my little girl go to you alone?”

I looked up at my dad and saw that he was staring at Ezekiel to which Ezekiel stared back emotionlessly.

“Hm…” Darius noticed the two’s gazes as well before he nodded at Ezekiel, sending some sort of signal.

I didn’t understand what they just did, but my dad suddenly stiffened and turned his head to the side. I looked to where his head was turned and saw that the other four who had been with us had disappeared.

“What did you do to them?” my dad growled.

Ezekiel answered, “I had a witch magically enforce the house. Only those who I allow to enter may do so. The rest will be barricaded by a magic barrier outside.”

Well, at least I had my dad by my side.

“Now.” Darius motioned again, and this time, it sounded like a final warning. “Sit.”

I glanced at my dad to see that his facial expression had hardened, but he led me to the couch and we sat across from the Black family. Darius and Ezekiel sat on the couch across from us while Baron and Fletcher stood behind, leaning against the back of it.

“I’m glad to finally meet you, Mariam Pierce. You as well, Cameron.” Darius suddenly pointed his attention towards my dad.

He was unfazed by the elder vampire’s gaze and nodded his head before casually saying, “Hey.”

The corner of Ezekiel’s lip twitched. Or maybe it was my imagination.

“The last time we met outside of dreams, it was sudden. Now I can properly introduce myself. My name is Darius Black—father of Ezekiel and grandfather to Constantine.” Then, to my shock, he bowed his head to us. “I thank you both for being by their sides, never leaving them lonely in your presence.”

Ezekiel’s hands fisted atop his knees, but he didn’t add anything. His face was strained, as if he was holding himself back.

“Even though he could be a pain in the ass sometimes, I considered him a brother. It was fun being by Ezekiel’s side.” My dad said.

“Me too.” I jumped in before quickly adding, “The pain in the ass and fun part, not the brother part. And towards Constantine, not his dad.”

The two uncles laughed before Baron said, “I can see where she got her sense of humor from.”

I looked at Baron and saw that he was back to his usual self. The emotions he showed me during the time we dreamt together had been covered up by a nonchalant mask.

“I’m sure they had fun when they were by your side as well.” Darius commented as he lifted his head back up to glance at his son seated beside him. “Now…you want to break the curse.” He spoke it like a statement instead of a question.

“Yes.” I nodded while my dad remained silent.

“Why?”

“So I can be with Constantine.”