Chap. 11

"What're you up to?" mom asked, as I went to head upstairs.

"Just grabbing a water," I said, flashing her my bottle of water.

"It's Bryce's last night before surgery," she pointed out. "I figured you two would be out together."

"He said he wanted to spend it down at the baseball fields with a few teammates," I said, with a shrug. "So I'm just going to watch a movie and then head to bed. Early morning tomorrow."

Although I tried to sound nonchalant about it, it did hurt bruise my ego a little that Bryce had chosen his teammates over me. He spent all day yesterday with them as well, and I just figured that the last night before his surgery we'd do something together. But he said he wanted to spend it playing some more baseball.

"Well why don't you come out to dinner with your father and me?" she suggested.

"I don't know."

"It'll be fun," she said, shooting me a smile. "We're fun people."

"Okay," I said, laughing. "Give me thirty minutes."

"You have 25!" she called, as I headed upstairs. "And it's an outside restaurant."

She always did that me. Whatever time I gave her, she always countered back with one five minutes less.

I pulled on a pair of skinny jeans and a button-up brown and white striped shirt. I paired it with my tall, light brown leather boots and a jean jacket to complete the look.

Once I satisfied with my outfit, I headed into my bathroom. I plugged in my curling wand before touching up my makeup and looping a string of pearls around my neck.

My hair was still holding my curls from church this morning, but I did a quick touchup before heading back downstairs.

My parents still weren't ready, so I took a seat on the couch, checking my phone to see if there was anything from Bryce.

Just a text from Kylie complaining about Landon.

The doorbell rang, and I waited for my dad to come and answer it.

When I didn't see him appear after a few moments, I called for him, and then decided to answer it myself.

I opened the door to reveal Bryce standing on my porch with three roses.

"Bryce?" I asked, shocked to see him standing on my front porch.

"I realized something," he said, his crystal blue eyes staring into mine. "Sophie, there's no one else I'd rather spend tonight with than you."

I couldn't help but smile.

"So if you're willing," he added. "I'd like the opportunity to romanticize you one last time, brain alien and all."

I stepped out onto the front porch, throwing my arms around his neck and planting my lips on his.

"I'd like nothing more than that," I said, with a smile. "But first let me put these flowers in a vase."

He chuckled, waiting as I hurried inside to find a vase for my roses.

Bryce always spruced up the types of flowers he gave me, last time they were petunias.

I put the roses in a vase with some water before rejoining him, his hand wrapping around mine.

"I probably need to tell my parents," I said.

"They already know," Bryce said, with a smile.

"So they were never going to take me out for dinner?"