Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Gran only stayed until we were done eating then she left claiming that there was a show on TV that she wanted to watch. Both Dustin and I gave her a hug goodbye; I walked with her to the door and also thanked her for getting the food for me

I was a bit reluctant to go back in the house so I stayed out on the porch till I saw Gran go in to her house. Still then I was trying not to go back inside, don't get me wrong I am really glad that Dustin was her it was just hard for me to just have him back in my life. I had just gotten the hang of being on my own and dealing with my problems on my own.

I must have been standing out longer than I noticed as the door behind me opened and I felt him stand behind me, pulling me to him so that he could hold me. I didn’t even know it was cold outside till I felt the warmth of him behind me.

“What’s on that crazy mind of yours Tinkerbelle?” He hasn’t called me by my old nickname in about four years.

“I was just thinking how weird it was having you here is.” I just had to be honest with him. No need in hiding my confusion from him.

“What is weird about it?” You could hear in his voice that he was a bit hurt from my words, it must have sounded like I didn’t want him her.

“Just you didn’t answer my last email where I asked you if you would be at my graduation and now you just show up without letting me know.” I turned around so that I was facing him so that he could see the hurt in my face, I had wanted him there for me , seeing me walk across the stage when I accepted my certificate. But he wasn’t there didn’t even send a mail letting me know that he wasn’t going to be there.

He didn’t reply straight away, it was like he was forming the words in his head first before he spoke.

“I was on my way to your graduation yesterday and on the way my brother called telling me that I had to get home immediately. He sounded so stressed out that I had no choice so I went home.” He pauses looking me straight in the eyes; you could see he was telling the truth.

“When I stopped at my parent’s house my dad was busy putting luggage in his car and when I asked him what he was doing he told me that he and my mom were getting a divorce.” When that last word left his moth a tear spilled out of his eyes.

I didn’t know what to say so I just gave him a thigh hug making sure to show him that I was there for him. After a few minutes he stopped crying and I suggested that we should go in, I took his hand in mine and lead him to the living room, taking a seat on the love seat I dragged him down next to me. He just sat there facing me still with a few tears still making their way down his face. I stopped one with my finger before it could make its way down his cheek. He placed his hand on mine that was still on his cheek, he looked so broken.

 He took my hand and placed a kiss on my palm then he let it go, my hand dropped down in my lap. I looked down at my folded hands on my lap not knowing what to say next, what do you say to someone who had found out that his parents were getting a divorce and why did he kiss my palm, he had never kissed me even if it was just on my hand it made me want him to kiss me on the lips.

 “thanks for just being here for me, I didn’t know what to do, when I heard you were coming here I just knew that it would be best for me to get away from home there I would just be in the way.” He spoke in a soft tone; I knew he was worried that I would kick him.

I looked back up at him; his gaze was focused on me, like my next words would be the most important thing in the world. I just looked at him for a bit, studying his deep blue eyes with streaks light brown hair falling in them. I brushed them away then cupping his cheek in one hand.

“I would never show you away, you are one of the most important people in my life, even if we are a bit distended, you will always be my best friend.” I said to him looking him straight in the eyes.

“Thank you.” Relieved washed over him, he had a small smile on his lips making me want to kiss them. I really had to get my feelings for him under control but the more time I spend with him the harder it became.

I was about the reply when his phone started ringing. I let me hand drop so that he could get up. I also got up making my way to the kitchen and started to clean everything up that was still standing around from dinner. I could hear him talking in the other room with his brother, his brother Tom was a few years older than Dustin, I couldn’t hear what they were talking about but I’m sure it was about there parents .  

I was just done drying the last plate when Dustin came back holding his phone in his hand. You could see he was now more upset that he was before the call. I motioned for him to sit down; I took two cups out of the cabinet to make us some coffee. When I was done I placed one in front of him and took my seat.

  “So what did he want?” I asked.

“He was just upset that I had left, but I told him that it wasn’t my place to intervene and that it was between mom and dad. It just took him some time to see my point but in the end he agreed with me on it.” He took a long sip of his coffee enjoying it.

“Oh okay, well I’m glad you could sort it out then.” I was sad that his mom and dad were getting a divorcé but I also agreed that it wasn’t his place to do anything.

“I’m quite tired so I’m just going to get my stuff out the car.” He took the last big gulp of his coffee, and then walked out to get his stuff from the car.

 I just nodded, I also felt quit tired so I just rinsed out our mugs and went to make sure there was bedding on the spare room for Dustin to sleep on. I was just done with the last pillow cover when Dustin came into the room hiss hand filled with bags.

“I placed some clean sheets on for you.” I said smiling at him.

“Thanks, you didn’t need to but thanks!” he placed his bags by the end of the bed and started to UN pack. I started to help him out of habit; I use to help him when he came to stay with us over summer holiday.

“So what do you think about doing tomorrow?”  Dustin asked me when we were done unpacking his stuff.  

“I was thinking to as it is Sunday tomorrow, we could spend a day on the beach.” It wasn’t hard to think what to do around here; I mostly spend my time on the beach.

“Okay sounds like a plan.”

“Okay well goodnight I’m going to take a shower then hit the hay.”  Dustin said a  goodnight also, it was nice to have him back.