Chapter Forty

Judd didn’t move once Maggie had walked away, leaving the barn completely. He kept me still by placing his hand against my shoulders and when I went to ask why he hadn’t killed her like he was going to, he kissed me long and hard.

Our mouths meshed together, moulded by passion, love and desire.

Making our way back to the main house after, well I think you know what we’d gotten up to. Judd was being extremely silent, it was strange. He wouldn’t talk about what had happened with Maggie, nor would he elaborate on what his plans were now.

“How did you meet Maggie? You never really told me,” he spoke, opening up the fridge and grabbing a cold beer.

Uh-oh. I had tried avoiding this conversation. He’d never understand and would mostly flip out. “Umm we kind of never met before.”

Mid swallow, he frowned and pulled the drink away from his lips. “What do you mean, never met before?”

“Have you heard the term, pen pals?” I asked, feeling slightly sheepish.

“Fucking Christ are you kidding me?” he slammed the can to the counter top bench, some of the alcohol splashed out.

My insides were squirming, he wasn’t taking this like I had hoped. Then again, what’d I expect. “No, we’d just met on a site online and began talking. Problem?”

“Problem?” he mocked. “Of course it’s a fucking problem, how could you be so…” he cut himself off and I knew what he was going to say.

Gritting my teeth, “be so what?” I asked, trying to keep my cool.

“Nothing,” he picked the can up again and took a longer swig.

I scoffed and walked around to the pantry, opening it up and staring inside. I was hungry, so damn hungry but couldn’t be bothered eating. Then I began wondering what it was he heard on the other end of Maggie’s phone conversation.

“Judd?” I asked, in a more sweet and playful tone.

“Mm?” he replied, glancing over as I stared at him.

“Hungry?” I asked, trying to get the answers I needed through his stomach.

“Not really. I need to go have a pack meeting, something’s come up,” he spoke sternly, suddenly avoiding eye contact.

Rubbing just underneath my ribs as he walked past me. I didn’t know what was up but I didn’t have a good feeling about it. “Could I come with you?”

Stopping dead in his tracks, he kept his body facing away from me. “Not a good time tonight babe, it’s just boring pack patrol shit that you wouldn’t be interested in.”

“In other words you don’t want me there,” I muttered quietly.

“Elle,” he begun, turning to face me as he let out a dragged out sigh, “Don’t bother starting something with me, I don’t have time for an emotional mind fuck of hormones tonight.”

My eyes widened, bewildered as I soon narrowed them, “Excuse me? What the hell am I meant to be starting Judd?” He had another thing coming if I was going to stand and listen to him talk to me this way. “Alpha or not, you don’t ever speak to me like that again.”

Tears filled my eyes as I let my sight clear him. He was being the hormonal one, up and down like a yo-yo. His features softened and began walking towards me again. “You’re right, but you can’t come. I just don’t want you there.”

“Why?” I was confused. What was so different this time to any other?

And without thinking, well that’s what I was hoping he hadn’t done as he blurted out, his hand in the air as he spoke, “because you don’t understand anything there, you’re human!”