Dorm Room 210: Friendships

Author note: This chapter has been revised and edited. Updated in 2017

Instagram: @broken_dream07

Chapter 3:

Friendship

Room 210's bathroom is my favourite place. It's spacious enough for two without feeling too exposing, and I can lock myself in without having difficult breathing.

That's what I've been doing since I heard Noah walk through the door every morning.

Not that my actions do anything. I still see him in the mornings.

Today is Friday and I don't have any classes, so waking up hours later feels breathtaking. Noah has a class today, at least that's what Nicole told me, which calms me a lot knowing I don't have to hide away or listen hard to hear footsteps near.

I finish brushing my teeth and my hair up in a bun before I aim straight into bed again. I plan on wasting today doing nothing as best as I can.

I charge my phone and place it on the drawer beside me, the time in the back of my mind. Reaching over to the bottom drawer, I pluck out my timetable and scan the room locations, hours and teachers just to remind myself that nothing is on Friday. Nothing is on Wednesday either, except a lecture that we have to attend every couple of times. It's an easy and flexible schedule. So much better than high school.

The next thing I take out from the bottom drawer is my sketch book, along with a pencil and rubber, and a smile spreads from my face as I scan through the pages.

I remember showing Stacy one of my sketches; a dress with no backing with spaghetti straps crisscrossed over each other, holding it together. She didn't exactly like it. Having a sixteen year old niece slash goddaughter drawing sketches so common for woman her age, left her a really bad accusation of what kind of girl I was becoming. 

I failed to assure her that I wasn't confident enough to wear clothes like them, that even a porn star could handle the situation better. She almost fainted from hearing me say that word.

I laugh to myself.

As my hand flies across the page, leaving shades of different greys behind, I think about her well-being. At almost thirty eight, I can't understand how she survives living on her own. I rarely saw any friends visiting her, but she claims to have plenty. She's the one who visits them. Has she managed to get herself a boyfriend in last previous week? I wonder what she'll think of my arrangement with a boy.

Right. Noah. Just thinking about him makes me a little on edge. For a roommate, he sure is a lousy one. Is my invasion of the dorm going to strain us from here on out? Is he really giving me this dorm to myself? I rarely see him outside of the group, but he doesn't acknowledge me much. 

Then why did he react the way he did when I told him my name?

The questions give me a headache, but they continuously repeat in my mind. 

Hours disappear, and before I know it, it's eight pm and I'm craving pizza.

I order a large margarita and make my way outside wearing leggings and an oversized jumper. A pair of white earphones hook in my ears as I play one of the playlists listed on my phone. I smile as the beat runs through my body.

This is okay. By myself, playing music as I make my way to the front of the building to pick up my dinner. I don't know anyone when I'm in my world, and it's great like that, I prefer it this way. 

I don't catch anyone I'm familiar with, and I sure don't on my way back to the dorm, warm pizza in my hands. 

I almost drop it when Noah walks out of the dorm.