TEN

TEN [POV : Blade "Zero" Kiren]

"You're damn lucky. If you weren't a racer, I don't think you would have survived that."

I laughed at the truth as I let a puff of smoke float into the air. I dropped the butt of the cig onto the ground, squashing it with my boot. It had only been instinct and the knowledge of how to manoeuvre a car going at such a high speed that had allowed me to scrape past the lorry. Luck had been on my side as it was turning in such a way and turning to head in the same direction as I was. It helped that there hadn't been any other cars at the lights.

I'd taken it steady after that, using the gears to slow down. To get the car here to the garage that Quinn used. I'd used them for a couple of years too for my bike.

"What's wrong with it?" I asked, already knowing, but wanting another's opinion.

"You're brakes were cut," was the response.

"I thought so," I paused. "How much to get the brakes repaired?"

"Are you racing instead of Quinn this year?" he asked instead.

"Why the interest?"

"We've all heard about his leg. We've figured that he won't be able to race this year... It's a damn shame. He was a damn good racer."

"That doesn't answer my question."

"Jeesh, Blade, what's up your ass?"

"Why the interest?" I asked again.

He sighed. "You know we've been watching you. We have since you started those races before the superGP when you were fifteen."

"So?"

"So, are you going to take Quinn's place?"

"I'm not at that level yet."

"Bull. And you know it. Quinn knows it. Jess knows it. We know it. So why not?"

"No money?"

He raised a brow at that. "Uhuh. And how'd you go from Mr. Multi-millionaire to having "no money"?"

"Dad's cut my funds in hope that I'll go crawling back and give up on racing."

"He still wants you to take over the company."

I gave a nod.

He snorted. "Anyone with eyes can see your not built for an office."

"What can I say? My dad's a blind bastard."

He shook his head, looking back at my Dodge. "Who did this anyway?"

I shrugged. "Beats me."

"Whoever did it wants you hurt or dead."

I rolled my eyes. "And that narrows the list down."

He shook his head. "If you're not racing you're working. If you're not working, then you're fighting."

I grinned at him. "Oh, and I think I've visited all the hospitals in this area now."

"Who got you into the last?"

"Quinn and Jess."

"Quinn beat you up?"

"No, you douche, I went to see him a couple of days ago."

"How is he?"

"Glad he's alive."

He nodded to show he'd heard. "Good, good. Come pick her up in the morning," he gestured the black Dodge. "I need to finish a car for someone who'll pay me."

"I'll pay you."

He shook his head. "Go, come back tomorrow."

I grinned. "Thanks man."

I decided to think positive the next morning. I got new breaks for free. I'd have to thank him for that. Him being Mr. Rossie because after debating last night, I figured that it must have been him. No one else in school hated me that much and Ryan would be the only one who would dare to do it. All the others who didn't like me wouldn't be so cowardly to cut my brakes. They'd want to hurt me themselves, not through a car accident.

And the reason I thought it was Mr. Rossie, well, his plan to embarrass or whatever he'd try to do yesterday in class had backfired. Painfully for him. Looking out of my Dodge's windows, I watched as that very man pulled into the car park at eight-forty-one driving a light blue Toyota Prius, minutes later he was parked and entering the nearest building.

Time for a little revenge. Getting out, I wondered over to the Prius. Leaning against it, I debating... then grinned, turning to face the Prius, I crouched so to make it easier to carve words on the side of the car.

I LIKE YOU–

I paused as I debated my options, then with a smile I continued.

–NG GIRLS (I LIKE YOUNG GIRLS)

Sitting back and looking at the words, I decided to do something on the other side.

I LIKE YOU–

I decided to write something different on this side.

–R DAUGHTERS (I LIKE YOUR DAUGHTERS)

I grinned as I stood and headed for the school to find Mr. Rossie. I found him about to head up stairs for the staff room. "Mr. Rossie!"

He turned in surprise at my voice. The few others that were here fifteen minutes before the start of school glanced between us. As I reached him, I gave him a hard slap on the back, making him have to catch himself to prevent himself from falling over.

"I was nearly in hospital last night," I grinned.

"What?" he said in a quiet voice that told me he was more surprised that I was standing in front of him.

"Don't play stupid. But I see that you've taken this to the next level," I gave him a grin that made fear swim in his eyes. "So I've decided to meet you head on. I mean, the blue Prius is yours, right?"

Giving him another slap on the back, I headed off for the next thing on my to-do list. To find Madisyn and apologise for not turning up once school had finished.

Vote? Comment? Thank you!