Dark Stranger (1)

The nightmares never let me sleep in peace.

The sun was shining, yet the weather was somehow still chilly. A constant, cold breeze was blowing, making its way through my half-open window. It was just like every other morning, when I woke up to escape the horrifying dreams.

I wasn't much of a societal individual. I liked keeping to myself and not bothering other people. I had always preferred solitude, and it was always the same silent morning for me. Life had lost all its meaning. The only interesting part of my life was the strange dreams. At least they provided me some excitement, despite the less than satisfactory conditions. After all, it was better than nothing.

As I got up from my bed, I glanced out the window and saw exactly what I expected to see. He was standing there, in his usual place on the balcony. I could barely make his figure out in the shadows. I never saw him anywhere around town. It seemed like he hadn't ever left his house, and if you ever did see him, he was always on his balcony. I sighed; this was kind of freaking me out. Seeing him there, that is. He was always there.

Always.

My hair was falling over my shoulders in a wavy mess. There were dark circles underneath my eyes, but I simply splashed water across my face, enjoying its cooling effect against my skin.

I sauntered over to the kitchen, not feeling the least bit hungry. I didn't really have much of an appetite either. But these days there was a different reason as to why I didn't feel like doing anything in particular. My mind was occupied by the dark stranger on the balcony.

I decided I should be the first one to welcome him to the neighborhood, despite it not being much of a neighborhood anyway. Even so, who can resist going to visit a dashing, stunningly beautiful man, just next door? As I sipped my morning coffee it occurred to me that everybody refrained from even going near his house.

I didn't even know his name.

I made my way to my room in order to get dressed. I picked out a navy blue sweater, with a skirt and tights. I tied my hair up in a pony tail. It was a breezy morning, the atmosphere unpleasantly cold. Nonetheless, I walked outside , secretly knowing that I would later regret what I was going to do. This was the first sociable activity I was going to do in a long time.

Soon I approached the doorstep of the stranger's house, my inner voice screaming at me again and again to just turn away. Mentally I agreed with it, as somehow I knew that if I did this things would ultimately change; forever.

Nothing would ever be the same again.

But one part of me told myself that I was overacting. I rang the doorbell, and the door immediately opened. There he was; standing right in front me. It was like he had been expecting me. After finally seeing him up close I realized he was very familiar to the guy I kept dreaming about.

Almost exactly the same.

He was considerably charming with his fair, smooth skin. His eyes were especially captivating. I could stare into them for ages and never grow weary. He was comparably tall, with a smart figure and broad shoulders. He was wearing a black shirt and denim jeans, complimenting his fair skin. And another thing; he had black hair. Not just any old, drab black though. His hair was shining. I felt my knees go weak.

What is up with me?

"Hi! I'm Evelyn," I said, trying not to sound too nervous, but I could tell it wasn't working.

"Eric. Can I help you?" he replied simply, not even giving me a second glance.

Regardless, his voice was like velvet. So warm and soft.

"I'm from the neighborhood. I noticed that you're new here so I decided to welcome you to the vicinity."

What a lame excuse for merely coming to gawk at a dashingly handsome young man, Evelyn. Why did I even come here?

He smiled for a brief second, the action hypnotizing. Despite the seemingly harmless expression, the moment terrified me all the same. After all, the smile was eerily reminiscent of a certain dream phantom.

"Come on inside," he motioned towards the interior of his house.

He seemed nice; I couldn't understand why people avoided him. Maybe he avoided people. I trailed behind him as he led the way inside. I felt like I was being followed. The house was dimly lit, and it appeared antiquated. There were peculiar pictures and symbols adorning the walls. The interior of the house was huge, large enough to fit two hundred people. There was a chandelier hanging from the roof, its crystals threatening to fall right over me. But other than that, the place seemed really inexplicable.

I felt frightened for some reason. And yet, the stranger's presence made me feel comfortable, and maybe even safe. I felt like I knew him. As though he were a dear friend.

Yeah right, dream on Evelyn.

We entered the living room. There were beige colored sofas present, and a wooden table in the focus. The wallpaper had quite an odd, yet elegant pattern on it. I sat on one of the sofas positioning myself in a sophisticated manner.

"So where are you from?" I attempted to begin the conversation.

"It's a bad place. You probably wouldn't want to go there," he gave a cold reply.

I was a little taken aback.

Wow so much for first impressions.

"Okay. So... What about your parents?" I asked, trying to break the serenity. It was starting to freak me out.

"Haven't seen them in ages. They're probably dead by now," his voice seemed cold, but I couldn't be sure as I was too busy inspecting him.

I could tell I was bothering him. He didn't seem to like my questions. Conversing with this guy was simply impossible. I knew I should never had come.

"Well, my parents live out of town. I meet them every now and then."

Why did I have to say that? He didn't even ask me about them.

He smiled his enchanting smile again, giving no reply. Again, I was terrified because the closer I looked, the more he looked like the guy from my dream. He started asking the questions. He seemed so interested in my family background. But he was showing no emotions at all. First he didn't even seem to acknowledge my presence and now, all of a sudden, he was curious.

I noticed that the sky was becoming overcast, although it seemed impossible to tell, what with the darkness permeating the house. The weather was changing, and soon enough it was sure to start raining.

"Well, it's late. I should be going," I said, getting up.

It was quite odd sitting in someone else's living room, with absolutely no idea as to why you felt so nervous. As I was getting up, I noticed that his eyes were grey. Grey eyes have always fascinated me.

Everything about him seemed to fascinate me.

"Sure. Thanks for coming over," he replied giving me a warm smile, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I marched home as quickly as I could, rushing to my room. As I had predicted, it began to rain. I closed the door behind me and groaned.

Why did his smile have to be so terrifying, yet so dazzling at the same time?

A/N:

Heya people, so here's the first chapter. Hope u like it :) Special thanks to JabberwockyWL for helping me edit this. Character Banner on the side is made by FolasewaIdowu. Both of them are amazing! This chapter is dedicate to my Bff. Trust me, she's super awesome :)

Also all of people have mentioned how absurd it is that Evelyn is obsessed with Eric and her dreams. THAT IS HOW I INTEND HER TO BE PLEASE. It is her character flaw that she is too curious and obsessive for her own good. I am no intending for the story to be cliche that is how I have developed her character.ma yet to come in the next chapter. So please give this story a chance?

Happy Reading!