A "Special" Situation

So this is the first, I guess you call it, awkward situation that came to my mind right off the bat. I was at probably the second dance I've ever been to, at the time, of my school. I was in seventh grade at the time and I went there with my friends and so far the dance wasn't that interesting like always, it was at that awkward beginning part where there are a few people dancing and the rest are crowded in corners. But after the food came out and everyone had eaten it was starting to get fun. My friends even managed to somehow get me to dance to 1 or 2 songs. Then as I was standing by the door to the gym a slow song started to play, it happened. I was talking to my friends and ignoring all the couples around us when a kid walked up to me. Yes people a shock not only to you but to my friends and I as well. That is until we saw who had walked up, a kid that would not only get on my nerves but I felt uncomfortable being around. His name is Joe, he is considered mentally challenged but not so much that he was put in the regular classes with the rest of us. Now I know some of you might not like the way I'm talking about him like he's a complete jerkwad but the kid wasn't exactly the nicest to be around. He would pick on other people and when those people said stuff back he would either cry or get so frustrated that he would throw stuff. When my friends saw him coming they decided to be "oh so nice" and walked a few steps away leaving me with Joe. I barely got out my reply of hi when he asked me to dance. I felt completely awkward and knew I wasn't the best dancer here. So as nicely as I could I shook my head and told him I can't dance. He tried to save it by saying we didn't have to dance to a slow song but I simply did not want to dance. I repeated my act again and I think at this point my cheeks were blazing red. He walked away and you could tell he was disappointed. My friends walked back over and told me I should dance with him but like I said before I didn't want to dance. It wasn't only because I knew if I danced with him people would spread rumors but also because I don't dance very often in general. My friends did eventually get me to dance to one or two songs but I mostly ate chocolate and pretzels from the snack table (fattiness I know). Joe on the other hand was on a mission every time he saw me walking around he would ask that question and every time I gave the same answer. I think I burned off all the snacks due to the fact I was trying to hide from Joe, I was that uncomfortable. I was glad about one part of the situation which was that, Joe had a helper who was there to help him control his anger, she wasn't there that night. Eventually he stopped trying and I enjoyed the rest of the night. So that's all there is to it. My question is what would you do in that situation? (as a 14 girl old girl)