Chapter 23 Part 1

Cameron POV

I sat in my office, lost in my thoughts about what happened a week ago. Everything went from great to just plain out bad because of that stupid decision I made. This was my fault, and the guilt is just worsening by the second.  I can’t eat. I can’t sleep without tossing and turning, Aleyah barely even looks at me. Maddy resents me, and I’ve set such a bad example for Nolan. The ashes in that baby blue vase have begun to haunt my thoughts. I was honestly falling apart.

“Mr. Phillips,” Mindy hesitantly walks in. “I’m sorry for your loss.” She avoids making eye contact. “I baked y’all some brownies, I know how much Maddy and Nolan loves them. “ she sits a basket on my desk. “If you need anything just let me know, and you have a meeting with the CEO of-“

“Cancel it. Clear my schedule, and just reschedule for Wednesday instead.” I began to pick up my things. I sigh heading out the door. “Just file the rest of the things in the portfolio, and you can leave. Thank you Mindy.”

“Yes sir.” She nods. Once I get in my car. I just sit there for a minute. I just needed to be in complete silence. No noise, no one to interrupt my thoughts. Just silence. I take a deep breath.  Then a few more, and start up the car, there was a knock on the window. I look up to see Jay McClintock.

“Can I help you?” I roll the window down.

“Actually you can, I was inviting you and your wife to dinner tonight.”

“Yeah well, I don’t think she will be up for it.” I sigh.

“Oh she is I already asked her. We have talked about it already.” He smirks. I clench my teeth, remembering how he’d looked at her. I just stare at him for a minute.

“Alright. Fine.” I roll the window back up, and pull off. Why was she even talking to him, but wouldn’t even look at me. “Aleyah?” I say once I get home. She comes downstairs and walks past me. I grab her wrist.“Where have you been?”

“Out. With my son. Who’s resting peacefully. So if you plan on raising your voice, the conversation stops here.”

“Where did you see Jay McClintock?”

“When I went out.”

“What did he say to you?”

“Him and your little side piece just simply invited us to dinner, and I know how much your precious business means to you, so I accepted it. But when  you see these people for who they really are, don’t say I didn’t warn you.” She jerks her wrist away and walks into the kitchen. I just follow her.

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“What I said.”

“Who exactly are they then Aleyah?” I cross my arms leaning against the countertop.

“Why are you home so early? That’s a better question.”

“I…” I look away. “I wanted to be with you.” When I look back up she was looking into my eyes. I saw a small smile but it faded quickly as she shook her head.

“It’s not that easy Cameron. I can’t just forget all of this, no matter how much I want to. For you, for me, for Maddy and Nolan, for us. All of us. “

“It doesn’t have to be hard either Aleyah.” I sigh. “I’m sorry.” I walk up to her and grab her hands. “This is killing me. The guilt, all of this. I really wish I could just fix all of this somehow.” I look down. “Aleyah, I love you. More than life itself. And I’m sorry. I am baby." I look back into her eyes, she just stares back. "I need you to forgive me, and I need to hold you, and you tell me how much you still love me, and that I’m still your king, and to just make me feel like me. Look at how weak you make me. I hate begging but I will do anything to fix this baby. Whatever you want." I sigh. She bites her lip.

"Cameron... I just need-" I kiss her but she didn't kiss back immediately, but eventually gave in wrapping her arms around me. I deepen the kiss running my hands down her back to her butt, just resting my hands on it. I guess she felt me getting excited because she pulled away. "Wow." She says looking away.

"Can we just work something out?"

"Just give me the night to think about it. I'll get back to you in the morning. You should go pick Maddy up from school." She nods.

"I'm the last person she wants to see." I sigh. "I shouldn't have cussed at her." I shake my head.

"Well here's your time to make up for it." She shrugs.

"If that's what you want then okay." I grab my keys. "Can I have a kiss?"

"Don't push your luck Cameron Phillips." She walks away. Fair enough.

"I'm here to pick up Madelyn Phillips." I tell the front desk at her school. She buzzes her classroom and calls her to the front.

"You her brother?"

"No-"

"Cousin? Uncle?"

"Dad." I laugh.

"You look so young." She laughs. "Wow."

"I'm only twenty three miss. But I feel forty."

"Welcome to my world."she laughs. "There is your daughter." She nods towards the door. "Y'all have a good day."

"You too." I smile. "Cmon Maddy." I smile to her. She doesn't return the favor, as expected. I open the car door for her. "Need help getting into your booster seat?"

"No." She says.

"Alrighty then." I shut the door and get into the car. "How about we go get some ice cream? You okay with that?" I glance in the rearview. She sighs.

"Yes."

"Awesome." The rest of the drive to Louie's Ice Cream Parlor was silent. I help her out the car and we take a seat in a booth. I order a huge Napoleon Ice Cream bowl. "Your mommy is gonna be mad about you eating ice cream before dinner." I smile. She just takes a spoonful and eats it. "How was school?"

"Fine."

"You have any friends?"

"No."

"No? Why not?" I eat some myself. She just shrugs. "Look Maddy. I know you're mad at me still but I'm sorry okay? I didn't mean to be mean to you. I know you hate it when mommy and I fight, but Im sorry for all of this." She just rests her head on her hand, her curly hair falling over her face.

"Okay." She says softly.

"I didn't mean to hurt my princess, I was just upset and it wasn't your fault baby girl. What can I do to make it up to you?"

"Just no more fighting please. It scares me." She frowns. Knowing Aleyah and I, this was probably gonna be hard considering thats all we do.

"I promise." I lock our pinkies. I'm determined to fix my family.

Aleyah POV

"You're wearing that?" Cameron crosses his arms as I walk downstairs. Things have been so hard lately and more than anything I just want to heal all of this. And just fix my family. So I was willing to do a little pretending if it helped.

"Ya know a compliment would've been suffice." I roll my eyes.

"You look stunning." He nods. "Honestly. I don't want anyone else to see you."

"Yeah yeah. I'm just ready to get this over with." I sigh. As I was walking out the door, he grabs my hand. "What?"

"I love you." He looks into my eyes. I slowly pull my hand away.

"That is yet to be determined."

**************

Just a little for ya guys gonna upload the next part later tonight or tomorrow. But it's gonna be the whole dinner with the McClintocks. Drama to a whole new level!!!!!!!!

COMMENTS!!!!!!!!