If Your Girl Only Knew

“If ya’ girl only knew that you was tryin’ to get with me, what would she do?” –Aaliyah x If Your Girl Only Knew

            It’s been twenty-four hours since the death of Harmony and Chris was completely out of his element. He smoked at least three blunts in one hour and downed two cups of lean wanting to no longer feel anything. His whole body seemed anesthetized and every time someone would talk to him he wouldn’t hear anything.

            The only thing he could hear was Harmony’s giggles in his ear drums. The sound of her voice caused him to either smile sporadically or shed a tear. He couldn’t believe someone would take an innocent child’s life and drive away feeling no remorse. But Shayne told Chris he knew it was Mariah.

            Mariah is the only person at this point in time with a ‘motive’ to kill someone that belongs to their family. Now, it’s up to Chris to really find her and get justice for Harmony. The police didn’t seem all that interested in the case, and the only one doing the searching is Loren.

            She calls him constantly with new tips she’s following and said that she promised to find the person who did this. But Chris was determined to find Mariah first so that he could have his way with her. Someone like her should no longer be living and he was gonna make sure he cuts her life short the way she did Harmony’s.

            Chris looked over at Sandra as she looked off into the distance while tears fell from her eyes. He decided to bring her to his house knowing that she didn’t wanna be alone. Everyone came by to see them including Rasia, showing their condolences. They both didn’t have much to say which was why the room has been silent for the past couple hours. But he knew he had to be strong and be a man and help Sandra through this because if he doesn’t she’ll only spiral out of control.

            He put out his blunt in the ashtray and ran his hands down his face. He looked over at Sandra and she seemed so stationary as if her heart wasn’t beating. He simultaneously opened his mouth trying to say something but it wouldn’t come out. Chris shook his head and stood up walking out of the room so that he could collect his thoughts. Harmony was the only thing he could think about right now and all he thought was how he would never see her again.

            He walked back and forth in the hallway running his fingers through his dreads and running his hands down his face. He reframed from lashing out so that he wouldn’t startle Sandra.

            He walked back into the living room and stood by the door way. “You hungry?” He asked looking down at her. He needed to say something to her to break the silence and since they both haven’t ate since yesterday he figured he should ask her.

            Her face was red and puffy from crying so much and her hair was all over her head. Neither of them got any sleep and he knew it was unhealthy but how can you sleep knowing that you’ll never see your child again.

            Sandra didn’t answer his question. Instead she started rocking back and forth biting her bottom lip trying to hold in the hysterical cries that wanted to be released. He walked over to her and sat down placing his arms around her pulling her into his chest.