Chapter One

• Dedicated kay Tropang Great Pretender :)

Aria’s head hurt like hell. May hangover siya. Naparami yata ang nainom niya ng alak kagabi.  Last night, they attended a colleague’s party. Hindi sana niya gustong maglasing kaso ayaw naman siyang tigilan ng mga kabanda niya hangga’t hindi niya iniinom ang binibigay sa kanyang alak. Wala talaga sa plano niya ang mag-party. Pero dahil sa pangungulit ng mga kaibigan niya, hindi na rin siya nakatanggi. Tutal naman daw ay bakasyon nila.

Tapos na ang kontratra nila sa Global Records. They recorded their debut album in the company that made a name for their band, The Gravity. Where, she is the vocalist. It was followed by another album, which was a sure hit. And the third album that topped the charts until now. The contract ran its course for almost six years. Nagdesisyon sila na huwag munang pumirma ng panibagong kontrata. Though there are other offers from different companies, they still consider signing up again with Global Records. Because Global Records gave them the big break. They think they owe them that. 

Slowly, she rose and sit at the edge of the bed. She waited for the throbbing in her head to lessen before she stood up and walked out of her room. She  was hungry. She go straight to the kitchen to find something to eat. She lived alone in her condominium unit. Her parents were living abroad. Therefore, there was no one to cook for her. She only hired a maid that only went there twice a week to clean and stock food in the fridge. She did not need a stay-in maid because she was not always home. She opened the fridge and spotted a frozen chicken but before she got it out the doorbell rung.

Ding dong!

Napatingin siya sa orasan. Alas nuwebe ng umaga. Wala siyang inaasahang bisita. She put the chicken back in the fridge and reached for the door.. She did not bother to look at the peephole. Baka isa lang sa mga kaibigan niya na gustong manggulo na naman sa panandalian niyang tahimik na buhay.

Plop!

“Happy Birthday!.”

Napapikit siya ng mapunta sa direksyon niya ang confetti na galing sa party popper.

Pagdilat niya. Nakita niya ang anim niyang kaibigan.

Birthday? Sinong may birthday? tanong niya sa sarili.

“Gaga! Birthday mo ngayon diba?” sabi ni Jellyn, ang drummer ng banda na may pagka-Madam Auring yata at nahulaan ang iniisip niya.

“Tsk, tsk, tsk, sabi na nga ba makakalimutan mo na naman eh.” sabi naman ni Laarni, ang humahawak ng electric guitar. May dala itong kahon ng cake at lobo. In fact, lahat sila may dalang pagkain at lobo.

“Hay naku! Makapasok na nga lang ng makain ko na itong lasagna na pinaghirapan ko.” si Merynil, ang pianista, na bigla na lang pumasok at dumiretso sa kusina. Nagsipasukan na din ang iba niyang kaibigan.

She closed the door after they finally got in. She simply looked at the calendar on the wall.

Yeah. It’s my birthday. And I forgot. Again...

She made her way through the living room and got inside the kitchen, where her friends are already preparing the table. She just let them and sat down in the vacant chair. Good thing, she bought a 6-seater dining table.

“Well girls, thank you for reminding me. It’s highly appreciated.” She said.

“We knew it. We knew you forgot about your birthday. You didn’t even mention about it yesterday.” Si Cess na kasalukuyang nilalantakan ang Black forest cake.

“Alam niyo naman na, I don’t celebrate my birthday anymore. That is why I don’t want the public to know my real birthday. ”

“And why is that? Tell me Aria, when was the last time you celebrate?” tanong ni Maricyl, ang manager ng banda nila. Walang talent ito sa musika kaya nagpresenta na lang itong maging manager ng banda nila.