Six

© 2014 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved.

"Something is wrong." Alric's hushed tone woke me up, pulling me from my sleep.

His body was tensed, every muscle high strung- whereas Stark was laid back, caution lacing his movements just slightly as he walked across the cabin to the door.

It was still snowing.

"What's going on-"

"Alric, keep her quiet." Stark muttered, keeping his eyes trained out the window.

He moved swiftly, covering his hand over my mouth, "Please keep silent, Luna Katya. We can't let them know we're here."

Who? 

My question was answered when the windows heavily laden with snow displaying veins of toxic purple dripping through the ice.

Only one creature had that poisonous blood.

Vampires.

"Shit!" I cursed after wrenching Alric's hand from my mouth. "There's a bloodsucker here? And you didn't tell me?"

They didn't answer me, instead Alric lifted me up, tossing me to Stark. "At least now we know who's making those snow storms. I'll distract them. You and Luna Katya should go through one of the windows higher up in the back. Use the trees."

"Wait," I grabbed his sleeve as he passed by to leave first. "Why can't we fight with you?"

He gave me a grim smile. "Vampires are ancient, almost twice as old as us Lycans. The deeper color of purple the blood, the stronger they are. Even us Lycans have no match against a vampire."

Then, just as Alric climbed out to face the vampires, I asked Stark a question I knew I was going to dread.

"What color was the blood?" I whispered, slamming my eyes shut as I pressed by face against his chest.

His grip on me tightening as he walked to the window, ready to climb out.

"Violet, Katya. A dark violet."

~

To see Alric put his life on the line for someone like me, who despised his race with every fiber of my being, had me breakdown into hysterics. I clawed at Stark, demanding him to put me down as we lunged into the trees. Alric's bloodied form, still heaving unsteady breathes, laid on the roof. Two vampires were by him. Their gold eyes shaking fear into the depths of my soul more so than a Lycan.

"Stop, please!" I choked on my own sobs, "We have to save him!"

"My priority is you, Katya. Alric will be fine." his tight response was anything but comforting.

I bashed my fist against his back. "How can you just leave him! He's your friend!"

"Enough. Silence yourself before they hear us, otherwise his sacrifice will be wast-" Stark jerked to a standstill, his body tensing.

I looked at his face to see a flickering smile as he loosened his stance, turning back slowly at the gory scene.

"Vampires aren't the only ones with affinities. Looks like Alric is going to live to see another dawn."

An auburn wolf burst from the trees, his body a dashing at the speed of light- faster than a vampire itself- and latched large jaws on the vampire's head, paws pushing down on the shoulders as the head was torn in one slick move. A piercing howl echoed in the forest, one raging of blood lust.