EMPLOYMENT ACT 1955
PART I - PRELIMINARY
* 1. Short title and application.
* 2. Interpretation.
* 2A. Minister may prohibit employment other than under contract of service.
* 2B. General power to exempt or exclude.
* 3. Appointment of officers.
* 4. Appeals.
* 5. Effect on Act of other written laws.
PART II - CONTRACTS OF SERVICE
* 6. Saving of existing contracts.
* 7. More favourable conditions of service under the Act to prevail.
* 7A. Validity of any term or condition of service which is more favourable.
* 7B. Removal of doubt in respect of matters not provided for by or under this Act.
* 8. Contracts of service not to restrict rights of employees to join, participate in or organize trade unions.
* 9. (Repealed).
* 10. Contracts to be in writing and to include provision for termination.
* 11. Provision as to termination of contracts.
* 12. Notice of termination of contract.
* 13. Termination of contract without notice.
* 14. Termination of contract for special reasons.
* 15. When contract is deemed to be broken by employer and employee.
* 16. Employees on estates to be provided with minimum number of days' work in each month.
* 17. (Omitted).
* 17A. Apprenticeship contracts excluded from sections 10 to 16.
PART III -PAYMENT OF WAGES
* 18. Wage period.
* 19. Time of payment of wages.
* 20. Payment on normal termination of contract.
* 21. Payment on termination of contract in special circumstances and on breach of contract.
* 22. Limitation on advances to employees.
* 23. Wages not due for absence from work through imprisonment or attendance in court.
PART IV - DEDUCTIONS FROM WAGES
* 24. Lawful deductions.
PART V - RELATING TO THE TRUCK SYSTEM
* 25. Wages to be paid in legal tender.
* 25A. Payment of wages through bank.
* 26. Conditions restricting place at which, manner in which and person with whom wages paid to be spent, illegal.
* 27. Interest on advances forbidden.
* 28. Restriction on places at which wages may be paid.
* 29. Remuneration other than wages.
* 30. Deleted.
PART VI - PRIORITY OF WAGES
* 31. Priority of wages over other debts.
* 32. Reference by the court to Director General.
PART VII - CONTRACTORS AND PRINCIPALS
* 33. Liability of principals and contractors for wages.
PART VIII - EMPLOYMENT OF WOMEN
* 34. Prohibition of night work.
* 35. Prohibition of underground work.
* 36. Prohibition of employment by Minister.
PART IX - MATERNITY PROTECTION
* 37. Length of eligible period and entitlement to maternity allowance.
* 38. Payment of maternity allowance.
* 39. Payment of allowance to nominee on death of female employee.
* 40. Loss of maternity allowance for failure to notify employer.
* 41. Payment of allowance to nominee.
* 42. Restriction on dismissal of female employee after eligible period.
* 43. Conditions contrary to Part void.
* 44. Register of allowances paid.
* 44A. (Omitted).
PART X - EMPLOYMENT OF CHILDREN AND YOUNG PERSONS
* 45-56. (Repealed).
PART XI - DOMESTIC SERVANTS
* 57. Termination of contract.
PART XII - REST DAYS, HOURS OF WORK, HOLIDAYS AND OTHER CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
* 58. (Omitted).
* 58A. Non-application of Part XII.
* 59. Rest day.
* 60. Work on rest day.
* 60A. Hours of work.
* 60B. Task work.
* 60C. Shift work.
* 60D. Holidays.
* 60E. Annual leave.
* 60 F. Sick leave.
* 60G. (Omitted).
* 60H. (Omitted).
* 60I. Interpretation.
PART XIIA - TERMINATION, LAY-OFF, AND RETIREMENT BENEFITS
* 60J. Termination, lay-off and retirement benefits.
PART XIIB - EMPLOYMENT OF FOREIGN EMPLOYEES
* 60K. Duty to furnish information and returns.
* 60L. Director General may inquire into complaint.
* 60M. Prohibition on termination of local for foreign employee.
* 60N. Termination of employment by reason of redundancy.
* 60O. Permanent resident exempted from this Part.
PART XIII - REGISTERS, RETURNS AND NOTICE BOARDS
* 61. Duty to keep registers.
* 62. Power to make regulations requiring information as to wages.