Chapter One

Chapter One

It was an unpleasantly cold winter's evening; inky and mystifying. The moon was sheltered by the murky looming clouds as Mia Godfrey stood at the bed of her truck, reaching mindlessly for another box as she listened to her mother ramble on.

       "I still don't like this." her distressed mother spoke through the phone, "There are other options. You don't have to just get up and move to God knows where with a population of God knows what."

          Mia rolled her eyes, "Mother, it's Alaska not God knows where, and besides it's a little late for that." she softly chuckled, setting the box down on her new kitchen counter.

         "It's never too late to come home. You know, where I can take care of you. Alaska is so far from New York City it could be dangerous." her mother huffed.

       "And New York's not?" Mia gaped.

Mia wished her mother would understand her reasoning for leaving. She didn't want to stay in the city, she wanted to get away from the loud noises, the busy streets, and the polluted air. Yes, she knew she could've just moved out and into the suburbs of New York, and that picking up and moving from a city with a population of eight million to a town with a few thousand was a bit mental but that was Mia.

      "Mother, I'm not having this conversation again. I am an adult." she announced, setting the phone between her shoulder and her ear before opening the box.

      "Hardly. Mia you just turned twenty one, barely legal. Come home baby, please."

     "I don't need you taking care of me mother. If you're so worried about me you can visit whenever you'd like." Mia spoke, trying to appease her mother.

Mia knew she was going to regret those words, but she'd do anything to put an end to her mother's begging.  She knew her mother would take advantage of that, visiting left and right, every holiday and birthday. It's not like money was an issue, her mother was an extremely successful business woman. Another reason Mia wanted to leave. She wanted to get away from all of the servants, the daily (forced) outings to the country club and the debutante balls. She wanted to live normally, and she couldn't with her last name.

Mia knew her only way out of it all was to move, and after a random Google search of small towns, she came across Belmont Bay. The town looked peaceful, tucked away from the city with green grasses, and luscious lakes, it was everything she needed. A great escape.