Beating Heart

"So, Scarlett..." he said, his voice was at a whisper.

I was still 'sleeping'. It was dangerous to even flinch. I didn't want them to know that I was awake. I wasn't ready to tell them that the experiment failed. That I have failed. That all of this was a failure. They could kill me, would kill me. They could tap into my subconscious and see that I was still Dafnie.

"... Mountgomery. You don't look like one." he kept on speaking. "If you could just wake up."

Somehow, him talking made me calmer. His voice just felt safe, like he wouldn't hurt me, like I could trust him. But I shouldn't, he works for The Transfers Department. Us, The Exhibits, turn into Transfers once we are ready to become who we are made to be.

I could hear him walking around, the heels on his shoes clicking against the tile. Couldn't he leave already? My legs started to feel numb, due to lack of movement.

Suddenly, his fingers ran down my legs, making the hairs on my body stick up. Why was he touching me? To check up on me. Of course he was going to touch me, he was a doctor, they had to check if everything was alright. And being awake during this sucked because all I could think about was him touching me and I didn't like that.

His fingers made their way to my arms, and then to my neck. Why my neck? They were tracing a certain part, in a circle. I felt my skin grow hotter, as if his fingers were lighting a fire just by touching my skin.

"That's weird, I thought we removed that..." he pulled away.

What was weird. What was meant to be removed. What was going on.

The door shut and I opened my eyes, sure that he left. He had. I sat up in the bed and touched my neck just where he had. It felt normal, like skin. I got out of bed, still startled by how cold the floor was. I found my way back into the bathroom and took a look at my neck.

It was the same as it has always been, my pink birthmark. Oh, wait. This was supposed to be removed during the operation. That's the whole point, you're a new person. The birthmark looked like someone splattered pink paint onto my skin and it never washed out, but it was small, almost barley noticeable. Almost. I traced it with my fingers.

This was the only thing of the real me that was left, even my face, though it was the same structure and everything, seemed to not be me anymore. Especially with those purple eyes.

I went back to the room, but didn't go back to bed. It looked sterile with all the bright lights and the hologram screens that traced everything about me. The heat monitor was off, due to me turning it off. As I walked around, the floor got warmer. Odd.

I had to escape. That was something I had to do. I couldn't just lie here and pretend to sleep for the rest of my life. But it wouldn't be easy. There had to be security everywhere, this was a building with Exhibits.

I looked around, my mind collecting ideas to leave. Nothing I could do, even the windows had lasers blocking the openings, so even jumpers couldn't escape the hard way.

Sighing, I crawled back into the bed, feeling my heart drop.

"I knew it!"

Shutting my eyes, I heard the doors slide open and someone running up to the side of my bed. Their hands gripped my face, shaking my body.

"I saw you walking, Scarlett. No point of lying."

It was the guy.

I snapped my eyes open and couldn't breathe. Of course. I knew him. Not from here. His eyes reminded me of this boy, those sweet green eyes that begged for my attention. And those freckles, soft, barely visible, that traced his nose.