Chapter 16

"So, what do you wanna do?" Toby asked looking away from the road for a second and looking at me. I shrugged my shoulders and bit my bottom lip as I thought of things Toby and I could possibly do for this date.

"How about dinner and a movie?" I suggested, but Toby shook his head.

"Too typical, how about laser tag and burgers?"

I laughed and nodded. Toby leaned over and kissed my lips softly before gently pressing on the gas and driving to the laser tag arena. The hand that wasn't on the wheel was resting on my thigh and it sent a swarm of butterflies up through my stomach. I bit my lip as he looked out the window in such a sexy nature. We were both casually dressed in jeans, but Toby was wearing a candy apple red tank top and I was wearing a plain white shirt.

We arrived at the laser tag arena and Toby took my hand as we walked inside. We waited in a line that seemed to never move before we reached the counter and Toby paid. We walked over to the waiting area to wait for another group to finish.

"You nervous?" Toby asked and I shook my head.

"I'm not nervous because I know I can whip anyone's butt."

"Even mine," Toby challenged and I nodded with a smirk, "we'll have to test that."

The group finished a load of kids smiling came out with some kids frowning snd trying to explain what happened. Toby and I went in with another couple and some people who looked to be in their twenties or thirties. We all decided to split the party up, boys and girls. Girls were on red and boys were on blue.

Toby blew out a kiss and I smiled as we walked inside the dark arena. I had goosebumps at the size of the place and the cold air. I felt a hand on my waist and turned around to see a grinning Toby. He pretended to load up the laser gun as if it were real and ran off to one side with some of his teammates.

There were four boys and five girls.

Matt, Tate, Zane, and Toby were on the boys side and Zoey, Willow, Yasmin, Vanessa, and myself were on the girls side. We quieted down as the clock began to count down for the match start and once it reached zero we all took off in different directions.

I ran up a small flight of stairs to have control from the top. Yasmin was guarding my back as I shot the guys from above. I was able to get Tate and Zane out but couldn't find Toby or Matt. I continued walking around with Yasmin as my guard until we heard the sound of the laser guns and took off running.

I heard footsteps behind me and that only made me run faster. I looked behind me briefly and turned around to shoot, but I ran into the brick wall that was Toby. He held my hands as Matt shot at the target on my vest. I got out and was forced to return to the red home base for a minute. Yasmin, Zoey, and Vanessa all came to the base because of cheating Matt and Toby.

Once our minutes were finished we made a plan. Yasmin was going to be our sacrifice so we could come out and ambush the boys. We sent Yasmin out and snuck around the back of the small designs of the room. Once we heard shots being fired and Yasmin screaming, we ran and shot at the boys who looked surprised by our cleverness.

Toby ran in the opposite direction and I followed him, still shooting. He ran upstairs and I crept around the corner carefully. I continued walking nearly silently until someone grabbed me and pulled me into a corner. The person spun me around and I was face to face, with Toby. I growled and he planted a kiss on my lips. I was on into the kiss I didn't even realize Toby was shooting at me until I felt my vest vibrate.

"Cheater!" I yelled as he ran away with a smile planted across his face.

The boys won. They hoot and hollered about how much better they were, and the girls were forced to listen. Toby removed his vest and wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

"A kiss for the winner?" He questioned and I shook my head.

"You play dirty." I smirked and patted his sweaty chest. I said goodbye to the girls who were all older than me and in college. Toby seemed to have made friends with all the guys and I was happy for him. Happy, but still pissed.

We left the place and headed for a burger joint down the street. Toby and I again joined hands as we walked inside and ordered. I found a table in the back while Toby waited for our food. I looked around and saw several older couples occupying the building, I thought it was adorable to see such old people still very much in love.

Toby brought the food and sat next to me. He draped his arm across my shoulder and picked up a fry.

"How does it feel Toby?"

"How does what feel?" He asked, dipping his fries in ketchup and taking out his burger.

"How does it feel to be bae?"

He looked at me and used his index finger to bring my chin closer to him. He placed a delicate kiss on my lips and I smiled.

"I'm the luckiest man on planet earth."

I unwrapped my burger and took a bite in the greasiness.

"I shouldn't eat like this Toby, it's so unhealthy."

"It's not healthy for you, but it's healthy for your ass."

"Excuse me?"

"See when you eat burgers, the juices from the meat run down your system and plump up your ass. It makes the booty nice and juicy."

I laughed at Toby's craziness and I saw a smile on his lips. I loved seeing his smile, I hated the times when he wasn't smiling and sad. I kissed his lips softly and felt instantly warmed. He grabbed my waist and held on to me firmly as I melted against his vanilla skin. The kiss continued getting hotter and had to keep reminding myself that we were in a public place. I grabbed the edges of Toby's shirt and our lips parted.

"You're like walking temptation, you that?" Toby asked I nodded with a smile. I kissed his plump lips again and went back to feasting on the burger.

We finished up our food and got back into Toby's car so he could take me home. The ride was silent, but our hands were together the whole time and we constantly squeezed each other's hand. Toby pulled up to my house and I groaned internally. My mom's car was in the driveway.

"My mom's home." I groaned and Toby smirked.

"What? She's not down with the swirl?"

I laughed, but knew the real answer. No. No one in my family was 'down with the swirl'. I continue to laugh in hopes that Toby couldn't see through my weak defense.

"Can I see you tomorrow?"

"Of course." I responded and we kissed before I made my way inside the house. I opened the door and rounded the corner quietly before being greeted by my father who had a drowsy look on his face.

"Where were you?" He demanded.

"I was out with some friends. Is everything okay?"

"Your mother was in a car accident on her way home from work."

"What? Is she okay?"

"She's fine, but she's gonna be out of work for a little while. You're going to have to come stay with me."

I fought back some tears as my father rubbed my back gently and told me to pack my stuff. So much for seeing Toby tomorrow.