Chapter Sixteen

“Call me whenever you need, Miss Jones.”

“Kimberly,” I grumbled.

Lionel smiled and wound the windows back up. I watched the car drive off until finally disappearing around the corner.

There goes my last chance of escape.

“Stop staring, Kim. We need to line up.” I felt Simone’s hand grab onto my wrist and gently pull me along.

We all entered the O2. The inside was packed with adults and teenagers alike. Some were dressed elegantly—probably heading to a restaurant—while others were dressed up, most likely going to the same destination as us.

I avoided bumping into people as Simone and Andrea led me to the Thai Silk club. Levi walked idly behind just a few paces away. I looked back at him and was greeted with his handsome smile. He could tell I didn’t want to be here.

Being forced to go out was one thing...but a club—something that was completely not my scene—was outrageous! I would’ve liked to spend the rest of my day relaxing with my family, sipping aged champagne while enjoying classical music playing from my brand new iPad. That would be the ideal birthday.

How did I end up in this predicament?

We finally reached a quaint-looking club, with dazzling lights and an attractive design. I tilted my head in confusion.

“I thought it was a club?”

Andrea laughed at my expression. “It’s a restaurant, but there’s always events on Friday’s and Saturday's.”

“What event is it today?” I asked hesitantly.

“Does it really matter? As long as we get in.”

“That means she doesn’t know,” Levi whispered to me.

I laughed quietly and we entered the line. The queue wasn’t long at all, considering. I didn’t really mind either way. I just wanted this night to be over.

I scoped my surroundings. It was ordinary for the O2 Arena to be crowded, what with it being a state-of-the-art concert arena. I had been plenty times before with Aunt Cath and the rest, and I have not been disappointed once. The O2 included a music club, cinema, exhibition space, piazzas, bars and clubs...but I never would have imagined I’d be here to rave.

I felt a slight chill on my legs and shivered instinctively. I almost forgot how I was dressed tonight. For some reason I didn’t feel comfortable without my usual attire and my trusted glasses. Although this dress was lovely and comfortable, I wasn’t used to showing off skin. I pulled at the hem of the dress in an attempt to cover my thighs a little bit more; sadly it didn’t do much.

“What’s wrong?” Levi asked from beside me.

I glanced at him and realised how fidgety I was being. “Nothing...I never usually show my legs. I don’t feel right.”

He smiled gently. “You look nice though.”

I felt my cheeks heat up at the compliment and quickly looked away. Suddenly I didn’t mind my legs on show, if only for a little while.

Andrea nudged me on the arm. “Your man complimented you and you’re not even gonna say ‘thank you’?”

“He’s not my man,” I grumbled.

Levi chuckled and leaned in closer. “Don’t let them wind you up.”

I noticed Simone was watching us both sceptically. “How did you two even meet?”